The Department of Molecular Biology at Princeton University seeks an experienced Manager, Department Administration, to provide administrative leadership for a large and complex academic unit. Molecular Biology is the core of the life sciences at Princeton. The Departmental website provides in-depth information about an exceptional educational and research environment: https://molbio.princeton.edu/department. As a member of the administrative team, the Manager must be able to fully understand the business needs of the department, faculty members, researchers and managers in support of the University’s mission of research and teaching in the service of humanity.
The Manager will offer strategic organizational management to the Department Manager and faculty members to strengthen the overall departmental workforce. The incumbent is responsible for all recruitment and orientation of administrative and research staff in a department of over 400 members, including professional research and technical staff, lab assistants, animal care technicians and administrative personnel. In accordance with university and departmental policies and procedures, the manager will provide the department members, faculty and managers with the necessary assistance to carry out their academic, research and administrative duties. The appointee acts as advisor to faculty on research staffing and provides guidance on personnel matters and human resource inquiries.
With a strong focus on high level customer service, this position is critical to developing, growing, and sustaining strong relationships with colleagues in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty, Office of Human Resources, and other academic and administrative departments across the University. This position reports to the Department Manager.
The Department seeks candidates who share Princeton’s commitment to excellence and who thrive in a diverse and inclusive community.
A cover letter is required.
Organizational analysis and development: The Manager will participate in organizational assessment and planning, and provide analysis of position descriptions to define roles, write position descriptions, and analyze workflow. The incumbent will strategize with faculty, managers, and staff to meet performance goals and expectations and improve execution. The Manager will advise on complex issues such as restructuring, reclassification, compensation, and reductions in force, as well as facilitate reclassification and promotion processes for all staff. The incumbent will assist in identifying and supporting recognition of staff. The incumbent will partner with internal HR associates to deliver information and services.
Academic recruitment: The Manager, Department Administration, is responsible for recruitment and orientation of lecturers and will oversee the appointment process for and onboarding of postdoctoral researchers, visiting fellows and professional research staff carried out by the Assistant Manager. The Manager will provide necessary oversight of complex researcher appointments and re-appointments and will ensure they are made in an effective and timely manner. The incumbent also will ensure smooth and effective evaluation and annual merit increase processes for Office of the Dean of the Faculty.
Administrative recruitment: The administrator is responsible for recruitment and onboarding of new administrative and technical (laboratory) staff. The incumbent will manage select administrative staff and monitor workflow. In concert with the Department Manager, the Manager directs the hiring, performance appraisals and annual merit increase process for Office of Human Resources staff.
Managerial Responsibilities: The Manager will provide oversight to eight staff members, including faculty assistants and Assistant Manager, which entails analyzing workflow of staff, implementing efficient processes and ensuring all work is compliant with University policy or applicable external agencies. The incumbent will ensure staff perform satisfactorily, address performance issues when needed, lead career development, and offer mentoring for career advancement.
Budget and financial management: The appointee will ensure funds for personnel are available and appropriately distributed in collaboration with Grants and Business Managers. The incumbent will oversee processes relating to payroll, leaves, and time and absence management.
Other: Event planning.
- Bachelor's Degree and 10 years of experience.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and work as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to interact seamlessly with diplomacy and tact at all levels of the University.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to plan and prioritize diverse workload, meet frequent deadlines, take initiative, and function autonomously.
- Excellent data gathering and analysis skills, ability to creatively solve problems and formulate/implement process improvements.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Must maintain discretion and strict confidentiality of personnel and salary information.
- Supervisory experience and prior experience interviewing and hiring personnel.
- Customer service and detail-oriented; pro-active approach.
- Advanced Microsoft Office suite skills, especially in Excel, and ability to learn new systems quickly.
- A cover letter is required.
- Management experience in a higher education environment.
- Experience with Princeton systems (Information Warehouse, Labor Accounting, PeopleSoft, Time & Absence).
- Ability to think strategically, including the analytical acumen necessary to interpret financial information and manage data.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period180 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo Experience LevelMid-Senior Level#LI-CB1