ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, CAREER ADVISING, College of Engineering, Administration Tracking Code3863 Job Description
Assistant Director, Career Advising - College of Engineering Career Development Office Provides career advising and career development programs for students from all College of Engineering programs, with special emphasis on serving PhD students.
Serve as liaison to College of Engineering faculty and staff administrators who oversee PhD-level Engineering programs. Develop resources to meet doctoral students' career development needs. Lead efforts to capture, analyze, and report post-graduate outcomes for Ph.D. students.
In addition, serve as Team Lead for one of five main support functions (Employer Engagement, Alumni Engagement, Event Planning & Management, Marketing & Communication, Operations & Platforms Management).
- Provide 1:1 career advising for students from all College of Engineering programs (Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical & Computer, Systems, and Materials Science), with special emphasis on advising doctoral students.
- Conduct systematic, ongoing outreach to Associate Chairs of Ph.D. programs, departmental staff, and select faculty in order to develop a sense of community and career support for students in each doctorate program.
- Collaborate with faculty in developing course-specific and lab-specific advising on how to translate completed coursework and dissertation research into resume content, networking conversations, and interview answers.
- Create, deliver, and continually improve career education programs tailored to doctoral students, including single-session workshops, multi-session mini-courses, and intensive boot camps, with a subset designed specifically for international Ph.D. students. Collaborate with BU offices that support Ph.D. students (e.g. PDPA, BEST) as appropriate.
- Create, distribute, and continually improve career education content targeted at doctoral students, including how-to guides and online video instruction.
- Serve as a team leader in one of the following support functions, based on strengths and interests:
- 1.Employer Engagement
- 2.Marketing & Communications
- 3.Event Planning & Management
- 4.Alumni Engagement
- 5.Operations & Platform Management
- Coordinate with team lead for Employer Engagement to develop new employer relationships and deepen existing ones, with a focus on companies who hire doctoral students for internships, post-doctoral fellowships, and full-time positions.
- Coordinate with team lead for alumni relations to plan & implement alumni-student programming (networking events, alumni panels, etc.) and identify and cultivate alumni contacts within the industry.
- Develop and administer surveys to capture, analyze, and report data on internships, coops, and post-graduate employment for Ph.D. students.
- Bachelors degree required
- 3-5 years of related experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular