Reporting directly to the Chief Business and Finance Officer and Sr. Vice President for Administration and Finance, the Associate Vice President (AVP) for Human Resources Services (HRS)
is a key university leader and contributor to establishing and maintaining a work environment at UMB that attracts and retains quality employee talent. This position works, to varying degrees, with the President, Vice Presidents, Deans, Shared Governance Representatives, and others in support of UMB’s strategic initiatives. HRS functions reporting to the AVP include Benefits, Compensation, and Wellness; Organization and Employee Development; Staffing; Employee and Labor Relations; Human Resource Information Services; and the Human Resource Service Center. Faculty human resource functions are typically outside the purview of this position with the exception of Benefits, Wellness, Family Medical Leave, Parental Leave, and Organizational Development. This list may not be all inclusive. Benefits Information:
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. The ideal candidate will personally connect with the Administration and Finance Guiding Principles which closely mirror UMB’s core values: Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Knowledge, Leadership, Communication, & Work/Life Balance.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore has retained the search firm of Isaacson, Miller to assist in the search for the Associate Vice President, Human Resource Services and Chief Human Resources Officer position. All applicants will also need to apply to the job posting on the Isaacson, Miller web site, using the following link: https://www.imsearch.com/search-detail/S7-625 In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions:
- Leadership in the development and implementation of HRS’s strategic contributions to support the University’s mission attainment, core values’ organizational integration, and strategic plan outcomes. Contribute to the advancement of the human resource’s agenda, assess and articulate short, medium, and long term human resource needs.
- Leadership in establishing and maintaining a contemporary HRS operation with continuous assessment of both service delivery and compliance to federal, state, University System of Maryland, and University of Maryland, Baltimore regulations and policies. Seek to innovate to achieve better customer service and efficiencies in operation relying on process improvement, technology, employee talent and accountability. Stay aware of changing HR trends that could be applicable to the organizational goals of UMB.
- Leadership and partnering to establish greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice at UMB ensuring that HRS policies, processes, and practices are equitable throughout UMB HR activities. The AVP of HRS will work in collaboration with the Chief DEI Officer and VP to develop and implement DEI strategic plans.
- Oversee the University’s human resource operations, and ensures compliance with all human resource policies and practices, state and federal regulations, and collective bargaining agreements. Be aware of the need for HR policy adjustments, revocations, or new promulgation. Communicate and implement the appropriate changes as the situation necessitates. Provide direction to senior leadership regarding complex human resource issues including policies, procedures and grievances that may involve legal counsel.
- Provide consultative guidance to senior leadership regarding organizational development efforts for schools and departments campus-wide. Ensuring the provision of adequate, accurate, and timely information for strategic decision-making by the various levels of leadership.
- Oversee the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motivated team. Creates a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve program’s goals.
- Will exemplify the seven UMB Core Values – Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Knowledge, and Leadership – and the two additional Guiding Principles for Administration and Finance – Communication and Work-Life Balance.
- Be a financial steward of university resources. Proficiently manage the departmental budget (s) advocating for resources when necessary
- Other duties as assigned including participating on and providing input to multiple UMB committees and advisory boards.
Master’s or terminal degree in a related field such as HR, Business Administration or Organization Development or Juris Doctorate required. Experience:
Ten (10) years progressive leader responsibilities in a complex organization required. HR Experience in a university setting preferred. Previous experience working in a union environment preferred. Supervisory:
Five (5) experience in supervising professionals required. Training: Certifications:
Society for Human Resources Management- Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or ability to become certified within 12 months of hiring. Other:
Financial disclosure is required. Background check is required. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An authentic leader who is motivated by UMB’s mission and can role model the related behaviors to UMB’s and Administration and Finance’s core values.
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated experience in generating results as well as experience working across departmental silos to accomplish missions.
- Is a visible leader for HRS staff members who empowers and supports the team, garners trust, encourages professional development, and holds all members of the team accountable for their actions.
- Knowledge of Federal and state labor and employment laws and regulations including but not limited to Collective Bargaining, Title 5, Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1991, ADA, the Education Code, Government Code, Fair Labor Standards Act, and Family Medical Leave Act.
- Understands the audience and is able to tailor oral and written communication for optimal understanding. Is experienced with public speaking and presenting to groups of all sizes.
- Possess excellent relationship building, communication, and influencing skills. Demonstrates the ability to interact comfortably, gaining credibility with a wide range of university stakeholders and constituents at all levels of seniority.
Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Human ResourcesJob Posting:
Aug 3, 2021Unposting Date: