Administrative Specialist IIIPosition Number::
Facilities Planning and ManagementJob Category::
Classified Unit ATime (Percent Time)::
12Current Work Schedule (days, hours)::
Monday-Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pmSalary Range::
$4,555 - $5,813 per monthShift Differential::
Shift differential eligibility based on the current collective bargaining agreement.Open Date::
07/30/2021Initial Screening Date::
08/24/2021Open Until Filled::
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PT) on the listed Initial Screening Date are assured consideration. Health & Welfare::
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
5. Optional – Three letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation). Confidential letters of recommendation are not allowed for this position.
The College contributes an annual premium up to the family coverage amount for Kaiser Permanente $15 office visit medical, DeltaCare HMO dental, VSP vision and life insurance plans. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees. Basic Function/Overview::
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services.
*Note: Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change.
DEFINITION:Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities::
Under general supervision, performs a variety of intermediate administrative support duties that requires a significant level of knowledge of the assigned department, its services, policies, procedures, and operational details.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED & EXERCISED:
Receives general supervision from managerial personnel. Exercises technical and functional direction over and provides training to student or hourly workers, and to less experienced administrative support staff, as assigned.
The Administrative Specialist III classification is the third level in the Administrative Specialist series which is comprised of four (4) levels. Positions in the series are distinguished by reporting and working relationships, level of independence, supervision received and exercised, decision making, judgment, and minimum qualifications for employment consideration. The Administrative Specialist III level typically performs a wide variety of journey level administrative tasks to relieve department head of routine matters. Incumbents at this level are capable of performing intermediate administrative support duties, including assisting with budgets, providing department office coordination, and assisting in department-related projects and programs. Incumbents at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to the assigned department of responsibility, working with an intermediate degree of independent judgment, tact, and initiative. This class is distinguished from the Administrative Specialist IV in that the latter acts in a higher-level capacity providing an advanced level of professional assistance to a division head.
1. Performs journey level duties of a supportive and sensitive nature; represents the department at meetings as assigned; coordinates multiple calendars, schedules meetings, makes travel arrangements, and handles sensitive materials; acts as a liaison between the department head and other staff or the public, assists resolving issues, problems, and complaints as appropriate.2. Assists with the preparation of the department budget, including gathering and analyzing data related to expenditures and projected charges; monitors budget expenditures and revenues; initiates department purchases for office supplies and other items as assigned; authorizes payment of invoices; processes department requisitions and appropriation transfers; assists in the development of contracts; develops special statistical reports regarding budgetary information.3. Assists with program or department budget tracking and reconciliation systems; resolves discrepancies; processes department requisitions and appropriation transfers; follows up with vendors; prints and reviews invoices for accuracy.4. Performs other financial and accounting related duties, including reconciling purchasing orders, tracking vendor and invoice information, assisting with bid requests, price quotes, purchase and expenditure requests, and purchase orders.5. Schedules and/or coordinates meetings, seminars, conferences, and training sessions for department staff; acts as meeting secretary including preparing agendas and informational packets, setting up meeting and training rooms, and taking and transcribing minutes for assigned boards and commissions; prepares complex departmental agenda items and packets for Board of Trustee meetings. 6. Assists with planning and coordinating of departmental or campus-wide events, functions, meetings, and various other periodic committee, and employee training sessions.7. Assists assigned department projects, processes, and/or programs as assigned by managerial personnel; provides assistance to department staff in various research and department-related projects; participates in developing and implementing department or campus-wide policies and procedures.8. Composes, types, edits, and proofreads a variety of complex documents, including forms, memos, statistical and analytical reports, organization charts, program plans, and correspondence for department staff from rough draft, dictation equipment, handwritten copy, verbal instructions, or from other material using a computer; inputs and retrieves data and text using a computer terminal; checks draft documents for punctuation, spelling, and grammar; makes or suggests corrections to drafts.9. Processes and prepares a variety of documents, materials, and records according to established procedures and practices, such as departmental documents, payroll records and monitoring payroll and expenditures for grant compliance. Calculates, inputs, and tracks faculty loads and lecture hour equivalency; ensures accuracy of the department’s class schedules; submits faculty attendance reports monthly.10. Provides information to the public to ensure an understanding of department and College policies and procedures; listens to questions and responds to staff inquiries and complaints, and explains procedures requiring a significant level of independent judgment, discretion, and interpretation; refers to the appropriate department source; resolves problems of a complex nature when appropriate.11. Designs and implements complex file, index, tracking, and record keeping systems; researches and/or gathers records, data, and written information regarding departmental programs and processes to prepare complex reports and provide follow-up information to customer and staff inquiries.12. May provide support to or serve in assisting the department head or President in the Executive Assistant’s absence.13. Participates on committees, task forces, and special assignments including, but not limited to Screening and Selection Committees and affiliated trainings. Prepares and delivers oral presentations related to assigned areas, if needed.Other Duties::
Performs other related duties as assigned.Knowledge Of::
1. Practices and methods of general office administration, including the use of standard office equipment.2. Principles and practices of providing technical and functional direction and training to assigned staff.3. Computer applications related to the work, including word processing, database, and spreadsheet applications.4. Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations, and policies, technical processes, and procedures related to the department to which assigned.5. Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting, basic accounts payable, and purchasing. Including business arithmetic, financial, and statistical techniques.6. Principles and practices of data collection and report preparation.7. Business letter writing and the standard format for reports and correspondence.8. Record keeping principles and procedures.9. Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment.10. Alphabetical and numerical filing methods.11. Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, students, and College staff, including individuals of various ages, disabilities, socio-economic, and ethnic groups.Skills and Abilities::
1. Maintain confidentiality and be discreet in handling and processing confidential information and data.2. Interpret, apply, and explain applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and timelines, as well as complex administrative and departmental policies and procedures.3. Perform responsible administrative support work with accuracy, speed, and general supervision.4. Provide varied and responsible office administrative work requiring the use of tact and discretion.5. Plan, schedule, assign, and oversee activities of assigned personnel.6. Inspect the work of others and maintain established quality control standards.7. Train others in proper and safe work procedures.8. Identify and implement effective course of action to complete assigned work.9. Understand the organization and operation of the College and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.10. Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions.11. Understand and carry out complex oral and written directions.12. Research, analyze, and summarize data and prepare accurate and logical written reports.13. Enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work.14. Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record-keeping, and tracking systems.15. Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.16. Operate modern office equipment, including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.17. Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.18. Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions.19. Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner Review situations accurately and determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.20. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.Minimum Qualifications/ Education & Experience::
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade supplemented by college-level coursework and five (5) years of varied administrative support experience preferably involving interaction with the public or two (2) years of experience equivalent to Administrative Specialist II.Equivalencies::
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications is listed in the Minimum Qualifications section.Preferred Qualifications::
An Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college is preferred. License(s) & Other Requirements::
The incumbent may periodically be required to travel to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.Working Environment::
Incumbents work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Incumbents may interact with staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.Physical Demands::
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle to visit various College and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Incumbents in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 20 pounds.Conditions of Employment::
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate. Special Notes::
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report 2017
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected]. Foreign Transcripts::
DO NOT include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY : Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to a $500 maximum (per position recruitment). Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
THE MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE DISTRICT WILL NOT SPONSOR ANY VISA APPLICATIONS.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.Inquiries/Contact::
Human Resources Selection Procedure::
1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399.
Phone: (909) 274-4225
E-mail: [email protected]
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview. Special Instructions to Applicants::
Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The start date will be following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website to complete and submit your application for this position.EEO Policy::
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).Cancel RTF Policy::
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay, or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.Quick Link: