Program Account SpecialistPosition Number::
Facilities Planning and ManagementJob Category::
Classified Unit ATime (Percent Time)::
12 months/yearCurrent Work Schedule (days, hours)::
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pmSalary Range::
Steps 1-6: $4,883 - $6,233/monthShift Differential::
Shift differential eligibility based on the current collective bargaining agreement.Open Date::
07/30/2021Initial Screening Date::
08/24/2021Open Until Filled::
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PT) on the listed Initial Screening Date are assured consideration. Health & Welfare::
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
5. Optional – Three letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation). Confidential letters of recommendation are not allowed for this position.
The College contributes an annual premium up to the family coverage amount for Kaiser Permanente $15 office visit medical, DeltaCare HMO dental, VSP vision and life insurance plans. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees. Basic Function/Overview::
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services.
*Note: Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change.
DEFINITION: Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities::
Under general supervision, performs a variety of difficult and complex technical accounting and administrative support duties in the preparation, maintenance, and processing of accounting, budgeting, and related financial transactions; maintains and audits financial accounts and records of the assigned program, department, and/or division and assists in the preparation of financial reports, summaries, and analyses in coordination with the Fiscal Services Department; provides responsible technical accounting support to professional staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED & EXERCISED:
Receives general supervision from assigned managerial personnel. Exercises no supervision of staff. May provide functional and technical direction and training to student or hourly workers, and to staff, as assigned.
This is the advanced journey-level in the in the Program Account support class series. Incumbents are cross-trained to perform the full range of technical work in general accounting, budgeting, and related areas, in addition to performing a variety of record-keeping, reconciliation, and accounting support activities. Incumbents perform the most difficult and complex types of duties assigned to the class series, exercising a high level of independent judgment and initiative. Incumbents are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to the assigned functional area. This class is distinguished from the Program Account Technician class in that the former performs routine technical accounting and administrative support work.
1. Prepares, maintains, verifies, and reconciles a variety of accounting and financial transactions and reports; audits and reviews financial records for accuracy. Other Duties::
2. Processes information and develops reports using standard word processing and spreadsheet software, as well as, accounting, financial, and other related electronic information systems.
3. Researches all sources of revenue.
4. Follows internal control procedures for assigned function reviews and recommends changes to office procedures.
5. Assists in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial summary reports recommends year-end budget carry-overs.
6. Assists in problem solving, research, and reconciling actual expenditures with budgeted amounts; provides technical assistance regarding budget activities; prepares expenditure and progress reports for the program.
7. Assists in the preparation and monitoring of program, division, and/or department, budgets; determines fund availability; requests, processes, records, and prepares budget transfers and budget revisions; prepares accounting and budget reports, projects revenues, and expenditures; reviews requisitions and expenditures for proper coding with respect to the budget.
8. Assists in the compilation and preparation of program budgets, calculates budget projections, reviews expenditures and budget transfers for compliance with funding agency requirements.
9. Assists with salaries, and benefits projections; projects position expenditures and determines savings; ensures available budget.
10. Reviews, examines, and processes requisitions; researches vendors and obtains price quotes.
11. Reviews travel and mileage reimbursement requests; verifies calculations, account numbers, and required documentation; prepares claim statements and requisitions.
12. Develops various accounting, financial, and budgetary reports as needed.
13. Generates correspondence and responds to a variety of customer, vendor, and staff questions and complaints in person and over the telephone; researches and resolves problems; makes request for accounting adjustments, as it relates to the program.
14. Participates on committees, task forces, and special assignments including, but not limited to Screening and Selection Committees and affiliated trainings. Prepares and delivers oral presentations related to assigned areas, if needed.
Performs other related or lower classification duties as assigned. Knowledge Of::
1. Terminology and practices of financial and accounting document processing and record keeping.Skills and Abilities::
2. Business arithmetic and financial and statistical techniques.
3. Financial and statistical record-keeping principles and procedures.
4. Principles, practices, and procedures of auditing and accounting.
5. Basic principles of public agency budget preparation, maintenance, and control.
6. Methods and techniques of recording, receiving, and disbursing large amounts of cash.
7. Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and computer applications related to work, including word processing, database, and spreadsheet software.
8. Applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
9. Principles and practices of data collection, record-keeping, and report preparation.
10. Basic maintenance and operation of computer and multi-media equipment related to the area of assignment.
11. English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
12. Techniques for effectively representing the College in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, and various business, professional, educational, regulatory, and legislative organizations.
1. Perform complex paraprofessional accounting and budgeting work accurately, in a timely manner, and under general supervision. Minimum Qualifications/ Education & Experience::
2. Enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work.
3. Respond to and effectively prioritize multiple phone calls and other requests for service.
4. Interpret, apply, and explain policies and procedures.
5. Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions.
6. Receive, count, reconcile, and maintain records related to funds collected or disbursed.
7. Perform responsible technical accounting or budget-related duties in an assigned functional area.
8. Make accurate arithmetic, financial, and statistical computations and summaries, and generate related reports.
9. Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
10. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
11. Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
12. Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs, with heavy emphasis on use of spreadsheets.
13. Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
14. Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions.
15. Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
16. Review situations accurately and determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.
17. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college in accounting, finance, or a related field, and four (4) full time equivalent years of increasingly responsible experience in processing financial documents, maintaining financial, accounting, or statistical records or two (2) full time equivalent years of experience equivalent to the Program Account Technician. Equivalencies::
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications is listed in the Minimum Qualifications section.Preferred Qualifications::
A Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in one of the above-mentioned fields. License(s) & Other Requirements::
The incumbent may periodically be required to travel to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license Working Environment::
Incumbents work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Incumbents may interact with staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures. Physical Demands::
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Incumbents in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information Incumbent must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 20 pounds.Conditions of Employment::
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate. Special Notes::
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report 2017
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected]. Foreign Transcripts::
DO NOT include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY : Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to a $500 maximum (per position recruitment). Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
THE MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE DISTRICT WILL NOT SPONSOR ANY VISA APPLICATIONS.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.Inquiries/Contact::
Human Resources Selection Procedure::
1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399.
Phone: (909) 274-4225
E-mail: [email protected]
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview. Special Instructions to Applicants::
Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The start date will be following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website to complete and submit your application for this position.EEO Policy::
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).Cancel RTF Policy::
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay, or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.Quick Link: