DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine - Department of Pathology Job Title - Program Assistant II (Client Services Supervisor)Position # 00786877 – Requisition #22320
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:Anschutz: https://www.ucdenver.edu/docs/librariesprovider284/default-document-library/3000-general-admission/3012---covid-19-vaccination-requirement-and-compliance.pdf?sfvrsn=4e9df3ba_2
Exemptions vary by campus location/department. Campus/Unit-Specific Exemptions:
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
- Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
- Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Department of Pathology has an opening for full-time University Staff (unclassified) Program Assistant II (Client Services Supervisor) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
This position must have a broad understanding of patient privacy and confidentiality regulations, the need for accuracy in patient test reporting to assure patient safety, and in-depth understanding of the cytogenomic testing process and workflow. Duties include supervision of work and performance of client services staff; responsibility for decisions related to process and workflow operations for the client services team; assisting clinicians regarding genetic test ordering and specimen requirements; log-in of clinical specimens received for testing into the laboratory information system; preparing, proof reading, and transmitting laboratory test reports; participating in process development for efficient operations, laboratory quality assurance and improvement programs; and following work practices that maintain compliance to state and federal regulatory requirements. Professional Field
Reports directly to the Laboratory DirectorSupervision Exercised
Directly supervises Client Services staffExamples of Work PerformedSupervisor of Client Services Staff and Processes
Client Services Technical Support:
- Supervise work and performance of other program assistants
- Prepare and perform client services staff coaching and performance evaluations
- Responsible for decisions related to process and workflow operation for the client services team
- Perform annual performance assessment of tasks performed by the client services team, providing additional coaching and training for those needing improvement
- Guide resolution of informal grievances within the team and with other teams, initiating quality improvement steps as needed
- Approve time off requests and schedules, and assure adequate staffing in the section
- Act as a key member of the leadership team by working to ensure smooth client/laboratory relationships
- Participate in interviewing and training of new staff
- Organize and implement new client service processes, such as those related to new test launch
- Facilitate communication with clients to accomplish changes and quality improvement
- Oversee the development and updates of client services procedures for laboratory director approval
- Provides ongoing training and development to those performing duties in client services and specimen accessioning
Performance of these duties requires in-depth understanding of CGL policies, guidelines, and procedures with the ability to serve as a resource for others on the team and throughout the laboratory, solve problems, make decisions, and provide guidance based on these documents and expertise in the field.
Assists clinicians, patients, and referring facilities as first line contact in understanding CGL genetic test options, specimen processing and turn-around-time for result reporting, and specimen collection and transport requirements Provides guidance in ordering cancer FISH testing based on in-depth knowledge of FISH probe use related to specific cancers or follow up studies Responds to clinician calls for results by coordinating priority listing with the appropriate sections for quickest completion of testing possible, communicating expected test release time to clinician, and monitoring the status of the testing Responds to requests from other laboratory members regarding obtaining additional clinical referral information to optimize testing, updates on specimen delivery status, and retrieving reports from other laboratory testing for coordination of services performed on samples being processed Arranges courier pickup of specimens within the local area and Federal Express delivery of specimens from outside the Denver metro area; maintains records of courier requests and delivery of specimens to assure prompt deliveries and appropriate payment of courier bills; guides decisions related to urgency of courier pickup and delivery balancing type of sample, testing ordered, and cost of services as neededCoordinates paperwork and transport of cultured specimens to domestic and international referral laboratories according to clinician requestsResolves problems with test orders and patient information in a thorough and timely manner, seeking guidance from appropriate technical team as needed Thoroughly documents conversations and problem resolution steps taken regarding individual patient tests for future reference and quality control Coordinates HIPAA compliant release of patient test results assuring appropriate release forms are signed and identification of requestor is verified Documents client feedback for client satisfaction improvementAdministrative Duties:
Login of patient specimens received for testing into the CGL laboratory information system by:Entering patient and test referral information.Linking specimen to the appropriate referring clinician and facility for test report receipt.Investigating prior studies on the current patient or family members for evaluation of known family genetic abnormalities previously identified.Linking multiple studies on current specimen received.Confirming assignment of the appropriate test group and study according to clinician request.Assigning priority status to meet patient needs as identified by clinician and/or knowledge of the disease or disorder in question, assisting other team members with decisions in this area.Generating billing sheet matching test requests.
Preparation and review of laboratory test reports including cancer, FISH and microarray studies by:Verifying accuracy of patient demographics and intake information.Proofreading report for spelling, grammar, appropriate report format, and complete content.Cross checking nomenclature for consistency regarding gender, testing performed, and result interpretation. Release of patient reports to appropriate clinicians and facilities following current distribution guidelines through faxing, interfaces, or mailing. Determines if special requests for receipt or delivery of reports are in place and completes tasks as needed. Prepares completed case folder paperwork for scanning by confirming presence of all necessary records, purging items not to be scanned as part of the permanent record, and arranging paperwork in the appropriate order. Scans records for archiving according to case number, test type, and year of study to facilitate review of completed studies and to meet regulatory compliance regarding maintenance of patient records.
Member of Quality Assurance / Improvement Team:
- Handles laboratory phone calls, providing assistance, as needed, and directing calls to appropriate team members. Serves as resource in answering cancer and other complex questions received by other team members.
- Monitors and takes action on information left on main laboratory voice mail to assure prompt response to requests.
- Receives delivery of supplies and equipment coordinating appropriate entry into locked laboratory space and access to the loading dock for delivery of larger items.
- Manages outgoing mails and the distribution of incoming mails.
- Maintains and performs simple maintenance as needed on office equipment such as multifunction devices for printing, scanning, copying, and faxing, label printers, and time stamps.
- Participates in the laboratory Quality Assurance (QA) Meetings where data on indicators is reviewed, and discussed for process improvement, specifically those addressing pre-analytic variables identified at login and revised/amended reports.
- Acts as an active participant in initiation and development of new work processes to improve delivery of laboratory services.
- Participates in working through occurrence correction determining root cause and corrective steps to avoid/minimize recurring errors.
- Performs annual updates of client services protocols and develops new protocols for new processes as needed.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $52,776 to $70,000. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Five (5) years of general clerical or administrative service experience, which includes two (2) years of experience working in a clinical laboratory or pathology setting Substitution
- One (1) year of experience as a supervisor or team leader
: College, university or non-correspondence business school course work may substitute on a year-for-year basis for up to two years of the general experience, but not for the specific experience.Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.Preferred Qualifications:
Experience in a cytogenetics/genetics laboratorySupervisory experience in a clinical laboratory or pathology settingCompetencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Strong medical terminology skillsStrong computer skills using word processing software and laboratory information system Ability to make independent decisions within established guidelinesStrong problem solving and decision-making skills Understanding of HIPAA rulesStrong interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skillsDemonstrated organizational and multitasking skillsExceptional analytical skills and attention to detailStrong commitment to quality, safety, process improvement and teamworkEffective balancing and prioritization of variable workloads and deliverablesJob Category:
- Ability to establish strong working relationships
Professional Support ServicesPrimary Location:
Aug 2, 2021Unposting Date: