Job no: 492566
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: College of Arts & Sciences
Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an integral part of the University’s learning community and teach courses on campus.
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an academically qualified adjunct faculty member to teach on-ground introductory physics lectures or laboratories.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course contract.
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Prepare essential lesson plans and assignments. Develop course assessment.
Use learning outcomes and syllabus outlines that are provided.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class assignments, group work, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner (with 24-48 hrs).
• Establish office hours to provide additional assistance with student questions/concerns.
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Relevant Master’s degree.
• Commitment to undergraduate introductory physics instruction.
• Undergraduate teaching experience preferred.
• PhD in relevant field.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The Department is using this position announcement to build a qualified pool of instructors to fill teaching needs as they arise. This position is not designated for a specific course or semester.
Graduate transcripts are required to complete the application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application purposes.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: May 12, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled