Program DirectorPosition Number:
00004732Working Position Title:
Assistant Director of Procurement Services & Contract ManagementPosting Type:
Procurement&Strategic SourcingPrimary Function:
The Assistant Director is a full-time, regular supportive professional staff position. This position provides primary support to the Director of Procurement Services and Contract Management, and acts for and assumes full direction for the Office of PSCM in the absence of the Director for all administrative or operational matters. This position manages departmental resources, sets operating policies for the department, and coordinate and facilitate various planning programs for the unit.Duties and Responsibilities (generally):
The Assistant Director works independently and reports to the Director regarding overall PSCM programs and alerts the Director to those situations requiring immediate attention. The work of the Assistant Director is evaluated by the Director. The person in this position should have good inter-personal skills, must possess knowledge of University business practices, must value and exhibit accuracy, efficiency and ethical leadership, and must be able to work with short deadlines. In addition, the person in this position must be committed to the vision, mission and core values of the university.Minimum Required Qualifications for this position:
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER Education and Experience Preferred:
1. A bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, law, or a related field (with a minimum of 24 business credit hours)
2. A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement and contracts management, including at least three (3) years of supervisory experience over a major segment of a procurement or contracts management business function. Contract management experience includes the ability to ensure provisions of contractual agreements between campus/university and relevant outside programs/organizations are compliant with business and legal terms and demonstrated development of complex contract addendums/amendments.
3. Demonstrated experience in a state and/or federal level organization with a diverse employee population.
4. Demonstrated experience managing multiple, complex projects simultaneously, including many that are vastly different in scope and scale and highly sensitive for example the issuance of Request for Proposals, Invitation for Bid, Request for Information; negotiating Sole Source procurements and developing and negotiating complex pricing/cost strategies.
1. Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM); or, Certified Public Purchasing Officer (CPPO) Certification; or Federal Government Contracting Officer certification.List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.:
2. Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to interact efficiently with academic leaders, faculty, staff, students and vendors or equivalent stakeholders;
3. Demonstrated ability to lead (chair) cross-functional committees in support of implementing complex procurement initiatives.
4. Demonstrated management experience and administrative skills to motivate, organize, direct, and evaluate diverse staff members and to work in a collective bargaining environment.
5. Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing projects, tasks, and functions and to determine the relative importance of selected duties, established deadlines, and operational functions.
6. Demonstrated member or stakeholder of a key system implementation directly influencing the procurement function or procurement related information technology systems that fully support departmental procurement/contract functions.
7. Demonstrated ability to develop procurement policies and procedures for use by campus/university (internal customers) and relevant outside organizations.
Demonstrated ability to apply complex procurement, contracting and management principles and procedures, state law, and record keeping techniques and methods.Working Hours:
M-F 8-4:30Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly):
$7,500/ monthlyHiring Rate Information:
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.Posting Date:
08/29/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from [email protected] and [email protected]. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10).
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting a Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on Program Director for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
Link to Department Homepage:
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
This is a sedentary position.EEO Statement:
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Is Background Check Required:
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.ADA Accommodation:
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education (AAEOE) at [email protected].Clery Act Information:
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.Quick Link: