Post-Doctoral Associate, Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy, 78920 Location:
UMKC Volker Campus Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy
The Missouri institute for Defense & Energy is seeking to hire a Post-Doctoral Associate who is a subject matter expert in machine learning with specific focus in data science development of AI/ML systems, models, and infrastructure to augment the quantitative performance, accuracy, and effectiveness of the systems being developed within the Institute’s programs.
The ideal team member:
• You have a passion for solving high-impact, real-world problems;
• You have hands-on, pragmatic problem-solving approach for mission-critical applied research;
• You possess the ability to operate in agile and dynamic working environments as a core team player and independent individual;
• You are creative and versatile in designing, simulation, and analyzing pulse power solutions for complex electrical and computational problems;
• You have an insatiable curiosity, openness, and willingness to learn new skills, methods, systems, and technologies;
• Demonstrates creative and critical thinking with an innate drive to improve how things work
• You have a high tolerance for ambiguity. You find a way through. You anticipate. You connect-synthesizeexecute.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills to inform and guide team-members; and,
• Excellent and efficient organizational/time-management skills to prioritize and execute on both long-term and short parallel assignments.
• Define the deployment approach and infrastructure for models and be responsible for ensuring that internal/external team members and stakeholders can use the models we develop:
- Host intake sessions – with the technical lead or sub-lead who has requested your help/service, understand their project objectives, data generation details, and how ML methods can/may help to optimize their work. Capture your understanding in words and provide this back to the technical lead to establish agreement of the project.
- Generate data – collaborate and support other technical leads or sub-leads develop input parameter cards for their simulations, or, design-of-experiments for their measurements, or both; setup includes the auto-generation and submission of input cards with minimal user intervention. Coding up the interface with the simulation package or instrument is usually where the most help is needed for this portion of the work.
- Analysis and algorithm application – help the technical leads or sub-leads analyze their data, including auto-pull of files and folders and parsing thereof. Apply the algorithm(s) appropriate for the type of data and objectives of the project. If iterative, restart the cycle to refine the optimization with a new parameter space; this step may be manual or automated.
- Data visualization – once the data has been generated/reduced, help to provide visualizations of the trends, from which further refinement may be applied or the work is deemed acceptable.
- Conclusions and summary – closeout the project with a short report that encapsulates all steps and indicates where the data and source code live.
• Work with MIDE program directors, project leads, and technical experts to employ robust embedded ML solutions for ongoing and future projects.
• Construct proposals and technical content towards generating new revenue streams leveraging AI/ML pertinent to the focus areas of the Institute.
• Automate generating engineered key performance metrics out of massive and complex datasets using programs such as Druid, Spark MLib, Kafka.
• Mentor students/faculty/staff on technical area as appropriate.
• Leverage MIE Support Services Resources such as Business Development, Logistics, IS/IT.
• Holistically uphold MIDE’s mission, vision, and values.
A Doctoral degree with specific expertise in ML.
Full Time/Part Time
This is an unranked non-tenure track, benefit eligible, 12-month appointment
Open until filled
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
UMKC Statement on Diversity
UMKC values diversity as central to its mission as an urban-serving research university and as a driver of excellence in teaching and learning. UMKC embraces a broad spectrum of diversities, including race, ethnicity, culture, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, linguistic ability, learning style, religion, socioeconomic and veteran status, life experiences, educational level and family structure. For more information on our diversity mission, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website: http://info.umkc.edu/diversity/
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area. Our students come from all 50 states and over 85 countries, enriching our community with diverse perspectives. With more than 125 academic areas, our students have a lot of opportunities to explore on their way to discovering and creating their perfect career. We are at the heart of a thriving urban area where the city’s life and energy influence everything that happens here. We are Kansas City’s university and we can’t wait for you to join us! Find out more about UMKC in the About UMKC section of our website.
Details about UMKC’s community and the benefits of being an employee can be found on our careers page.