Assistant Athletic Director-Communications
About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
- Eastern Washington University is seeking an Assistant Athletic Director for Communications. The position is responsible for the overall coordination and administration of communication strategies and sports information for Eastern Washington University's Athletic Department that supports a diverse population of over 300 student-athletes, representing 14 varsity Division I sports.
- The Asst. AD-Communications provides leadership of the Athletic Communications office, including activities related to public relations and the production of various publications. Promotes and publicizes every aspect of Intercollegiate Athletics. Maintains operating budget and supply procurement. For a more complete job description please see below under Job Duties.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three (3) years full-time relevant post-graduation experience in Sports Information or a related field (Journalism, Communications or Broadcasting).
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong and diverse computer skills, knowledge of Macintosh and PC platforms. Microsoft Word and the Adobe Creative Suite is essential in addition to knowledge of NCAA Live Stats and website maintenance.
- Broad knowledge of athletics, sports statistics, and NCAA rules and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal accessibility, or our students, staff, faculty and the public.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree
- Three (3) years full-time experience at an NCAA Division-I institution.
- Basic skills in graphic design, social media, and photography
% of Time:
- Excellent time management skills
- Supervisory experience
100 Responsibility / Duty:
- Provide leadership of the Athletic Communications office, including activities related to public relations and the production of various publications. Promotes and publicizes every aspect of Intercollegiate Athletics. Maintains operating budget and supply procurement.
- Responsible for all departmental athletic event record-keeping and archival maintenance, to include publications, and photography.
- Serves as the departmental liaison with media representatives.
- Anticipate, coordinate and support the informational and interview requests from media personnel.
- Coordinates interests for features, stories, and general interviews with staff members, coaches and student athletes.
- Develops and distributes sports information to various media outlets including the content and layout of all printed material and website content.
- Plans and manages all press conferences and arranges athletics communications coverage for home and away competitions.
- Prepare and distribute news releases to campus, community and the general public
- Season and game previews; game results; student-athletes profiles; interview coaches and players; compile numerical rosters.
- Make recommendations to Athletic Department leadership of enhancements/changes to policies and procedures of the Athletics Communications office.
- Assist in establishing and implementing the policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and public image of the intercollegiate sports program.
- Responsible for various aspects of game day operations
- Scheduling statistics crews and photographers,
- Organize and supervise the press box (football), press row and scorer’s table operations at all home athletic contests.
- Coordinating media site seating, compiling and distributing statistical material, filing post-game reports to media outlets.
- Arranging for statistical crew to be available and coordinating crew payroll.
- Responsible for the accurate informational maintenance of the official website of EWU Athletics (goeags.com).
- Develop, monitor and update social media platforms with a strong focus on specific networks (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- Collaborate with the University Marketing & Communications division on matters of university-wide relevance including all media interviews, press releases and crisis communications.
- Serve as the lead (or assign) statistician and provide live statistics for events through StatBroadcast (or other system) for EWU varsity sports
- Compile statistics for all sports following intercollegiate athletic events and ensure accurate reporting to opposing team, Conference, and the NCAA.
- Compile and maintain historical data and all-time statistics and records for all sports.
- Ensure timely and accurate required reporting to various outlet
- Hire and supervise game staff (scorekeeper, scoreboard operator, shot clock operator, computer statistician, and photographer).
- Provide adequate training for game staff in both equipment operation and use of statistical software.
- Assist coaches and administration in nominating athletes for conference, regional and national recognition.
- Coordinate Hall of Fame nominations for the Hall of Fame selection committee and lead organization of the Hall of Fame event.
- Assist sports programs with Senior Day activities.
- Serve as primary media relations contact for Eastern Washington University Athletics.
- Arrange and coordinate external media interviews with players, coaches, and administrators.
- Provide media passes and media seating upon request for athletic events.
- Maintain good working relationships with the campus and public media.
- University Marketing and Communications
- Develop relationships with the Marketing and Communications office and work with them in keeping sites in line with University policy and style.
- Maintain informational aspects of the Official Athletic Department website (rosters, headshots, bios, scores, recaps, etc.)
- To include news releases, feature stories, and accurate biographical information
- Monitor and update official department social media platforms with an emphasis on specific networks (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- Assist coaches with the maintenance of individual sport social media platforms.
Essential Function Indicator:
Conditions of Employment:
- Travel will be required.
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
$48,781 - $51,000
Open Until Further Notice:
Screening to Begin:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal provided below. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/postings/7126
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency