Job location: Remote Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
R0006430 Job Description:
Faculty Member – Department of Research and the IRB
Saybrook University is seeking a Research Faculty Member to join its Department of Research and IRB. This faculty member will be responsible for research course development and teaching as well as administrative support for the Department of Research and the IRB.
Saybrook University is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff and student body and is recruiting passionate educators to support the university mission. Saybrook University seeks candidates with strong experience conducting and teaching research, as well as administrative experience directly related to graduate education and/or the IRB.
Under the direction of the Director of Research and the IRB, the Research Faculty Member is responsible for providing excellent research instruction as well as contributing to the administration of both the Department of Research and the IRB. Research Faculty bring a unique perspective to the University due to their expertise in their specific field, as well as expertise with specific research methodologies. Ideal candidates have an understanding of diverse student learners and understand the unique humanistic style of instruction at Saybrook University. In addition, ideal candidates have 5 years of experience in research instruction and are active researchers, as well as having higher education administration and/or IRB experience. Candidates should have recognized skills in teaching, mentoring and administration within an academic organization.
Under the direction of the Director of Research and IRB, the Research Faculty Member is responsible for:
- Participating in curriculum development, employing a project management approach that supports program growth and maintenance;
- Developing and teaching new research courses in association with new University-wide research curriculum;
- Teaching research courses across the research curriculum;
- Advising graduate students;
- Supporting student recruitment efforts;
- Managing the class syllabus to ensure instruction of competencies;
- Planning and creating lectures, on-line discussions, and assignments;
- Grading of course work;
- Serving on dissertation and thesis committees;
- Demonstrating professional development including innovations and changes within the field;
- Engaging in distance learning instruction;
- Exhibiting flexibility in teaching students from diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrating strong computer competency;
- Supporting the evaluation and assessment of current policies and procedures;
- Supporting the creation and implementation of new policies, procedures, and processes for the Research Department and IRB;
- Engaging in collaborate activities with professional staff, faculty and students across the University;
- Ensuring responsive and timely communication and collaboration with the Director of Research and IRB, Deans, Academic Program Chairs and other University Staff;
- Participating in meetings as prescribed by the Director of Research and IRB;
- Being responsive to students’ questions and concerns regarding individual research plans, academic processes that support research activities, and the research curriculum; and
- Support the planning and implementation of research-related programs at the Residential Conferences.
In addition, overseeing student research in several of the following areas:
Auto Ethnographic Research
Biomedical Research Models and Statistics
Ethnographic and Cross Cultural
Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis (IPA)
Introductory Research Courses
Library and Information Competency
Nutrition and Research
Overview of Qualitative Research
Overview of Quantitative Research
- Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning required, ideally in the areas of research, psychology or integrative medicine, however strong candidates from other fields will be considered;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing and teaching graduate level research courses at the foundational level, advanced level, and mentoring students on dissertations;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with research administration and/or higher education administration;
- Experience as an IRB committee member or chair; and/or an IRB administrator with a CIP certification; and/or extensive experience with the IRB as a researcher;
- Knowledge and experience of online higher education and research/IRB administration best practices;
- Experience with accreditation agencies and state and/or federal regulatory agencies;
- Experience with Office 365, Canvas, and other software for research, IRB administration, and online teaching; and
- Clear communication and superior collaboration skills.
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University;
- Committed to program and University growth;
- Committed to teaching, practice, and research (experience with on-line instruction is desirable);
- Able to offer on-line instruction regarding topics and skills within his/her areas of expertise;
- Creates a sense of unity and common purpose and manages change effectively;
- Ability to build teams and effective working relationships;
- Promotes interdisciplinary work within and beyond the Department;
- Active researcher with research publications;
- Experience teaching graduate level research courses;
- The ability to teach with real-world experience;
- Technologically skilled in communication, presentation, and online learning systems; and
- Passionate about academic fields and educational instruction.
Applications should include:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research History
- Statement of Teaching History
- Value Statement (Potential candidates will review Saybrook University’s Mission and summarize how their individual values related to the goals of the University).
Please note: For the protection of faculty, staff, students and all who enter our facilities, Saybrook University has made the decision to require COVID-19 vaccination for all employees, unless granted medical or religious exemption, as a condition of employment beginning January 31, 2022.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package. Some of our key benefits include: paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan, and multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA). Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
About Saybrook University:
Saybrook University was founded over 40 years ago by some of the greatest minds of the 20th century and continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. A non-profit regionally accredited university known for its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University’s academic model puts the student at the center of everything we do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience. Saybrook offers advanced degrees in organizational systems, psychology, mind-body medicine, and counseling, all in flexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education. Saybrook University is proud to be a diverse, inclusive community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities.
For more information, visit www.saybrook.edu.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.