The core responsibility of the Institutional Research Analyst will be to support strategic reporting, institutional data and information needs, and regulatory reporting. This is a University Academic Professional appointment reporting to the Director Institutional Research in the office of Institutional Research and Decision Support (IRDS).
The person in this position will:
- Regularly perform data extraction, manipulation, analysis, and interpretation of findings/results to prepare institutional responses to external and internal inquiries (“ad hoc” requests) on a wide range of subjects – e.g. student admissions and enrollment information, student persistence and success (retention and graduation), student financial aid need analysis, personnel planning including recruitment retention as well as attrition, compensation studies.
- Respond to federal and state reporting and to guidebook surveys, national rankings and national studies by preparing accurate and timely reports and/or data files.
- Provide institutional research data to academic units and programs as well as administrative constituencies throughout the institution.
- Collaborate on projects within IRDS along with other stakeholders at VCU.
- Provide support with survey design, analysis and presentations.
- Seek and participate in continuing learning opportunities, including topics such as SAS programming, data subject domain knowledge and understanding, expanding data topics, and University-level initiatives and information delivery efforts.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
- Bachelors required with a major in statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology, computer science or other quantitative social sciences discipline.
- 2-3 years experience working in Higher Education preferably in an Institutional Research Office.
- Experience in extracting, analyzing, and interpreting data from variety of sources (information systems).
- Ability to draw conclusions and communicate data findings; applying statistical principles and methods to meet a range of information requirements; gathering and analyzing data and generating statistical reports
- Experience (2-3 years) with statistical software tools/packages such as SAS
- (preferred), SPSS, R etc. to produce high quality analysis.
- Demonstrated computer skills including knowledge and familiarity with spreadsheets, programming languages, relational databases and SQL. Extensive survey design and ability to analyze the results to help support research questions and presentations.
- Familiarity with higher education data domains (e.g. admissions, enrollment, financial aid, employee, finance, development, sponsored research) in a university setting.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Ability to take initiative when working independently and yet work effectively in a team environment with people who have a diverse array of experiences and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Masters degree preferred or the equivalent in training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree.
- Hands on experience with Data Visualization and Business Intelligence Tools such as Tableau, Power BI, SASVA
- Ellucian/Banner experience.