Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Administrative AssistantWorking Title:
Administrative Assistant, Human Resources and Administration
Position is located in Beaufort, N.C.
Position includes a combination of On-site and Remote work days
HR/Payroll Staff Assistant for DUML
· Exempt Payroll Processing (Comp & Non-comp):
o Place employees and students on the exempt payroll according to University guidelines.
o Process terminations and leaves of absence timely to avoid overpayments.
o Calculate vacation payouts for terminating employees.
o Set up approvers for monthly time off reporting.
· Monitor the input and approval of paid time off for full-time exempt staff members using the University's electronic exempt time-off reporting tool.
· Process and monitor Ph.D. student payments in accordance with Graduate School guidelines.
· Prepare records necessary to process the exempt payroll according to the Duke University monthly payroll schedule.
· Biweekly Payroll Processing: Process the non-exempt payroll according to the Duke University biweekly payroll schedule.
· Process manual forms (i.e., cost transfers, overpayments, gross pay adjustments), secure appropriate approval signatures, and deliver to the appropriate University office.
· Resolve compensation problems
· Process special Payroll projects such as Summer Salary
· Assist and advise faculty and managers with hiring.
· Ensure funding for new hires and reappointments
· Create positions and open requisitions in Success Factors or AJO.
· Serve as liaison between Duke's Recruitment office and PIs.
· Problem-solve and strategize with hiring managers as needed to ensure pool is attracting qualified candidates.
· Guide managers on hiring process, dispositioning candidates and record retention.
· Ensure funding availability.
· Advertise jobs to attract diverse pools.
· Draft offer letters for hiring managers
· Process hiring of selected candidates according to Duke Policy.
· Manage record retention for jobs posted through AJO.
· Verify and support personnel and payroll actions and ensure compliance with established policies and procedures. Coordinate with Duke Temps and Serve as DUML Liaison
· Function as first point of contact for HR questions for DUML
· Participate and lead training sessions and serve as primary HR contact for new hires.
· Process FMLA and LOA
· Advise employees and managers on policy guidelines
· Coordinate Paid Parental Leave and submit appropriate forms for payment.
· Maintain current personnel files and archives. Distribute paychecks and W2s according to the University guidelines.
· Manage post doc and other research or term-limited appointments.
· Track appointment end dates and coordinate
This position is focused on a variety of Human Resources duties and skills. It involves daily transactional tasks as well as longer range
complex recruiting, hiring, advising, and termination activities. All positions in the Duke University Marine Laboratory Business Office are
expected to be crossed-trained and serve as backup in other functional areas. Exemplary Customer Service and Communications skills are essential.
Work requires a general educational background normally equivalent to a full high school education plus two years post-secondary education in a business-related field.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience to OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE. become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.