Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Multimedia Producer/Director for the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences is a new position that will be responsible for creating compelling photography and video content that reflects the breadth and diversity of the scholarship, academic offerings and student experiences present in the college. Trinity includes nearly 40 academic departments spanning the Arts & Humanities, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences. The individual hired for this role will produce multimedia deliverables from across those disciplines and around central themes to be featured via websites, social media, newsletters and other university, college and departmental communications channels. The content will reflect excellence in research and teaching, help advance strategic aims like undergraduate and graduate student recruitment into Trinity programs, demonstrate achievement of institutional objectives, and otherwise benefit the reputation of the college and its units both within and outside Duke.
- Capture and produce photographic images and videos representing the full range of activities occurring across the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, utilizing creative and artistic skill to advance the reputation of the college and its units.
- Discuss media production needs with departmental and program clients to determine the needed content and structure; assist in writing program scripts or storyboard development.
- Coordinate and direct media projects; supervise production to include scheduling personnel and support; recommend professional services and vendors when needed; direct location shooting, sound recording, editing and delivery of media for distribution across various communications channels.
- Preview media with clients as necessary, editing films based on feedback and to better meet strategic needs.
- Produce artwork to include in the media such as titles and animations
- Explore opportunities to create podcasts or audio series within Trinity units and feature audio independently of video when appropriate
- Keep abreast of new trends and creative ways to tell stories using a variety of media
- Maintain inventory of required photography/videography supplies and equipment; evaluate new equipment and techniques for still and motion media application; recommend purchase of new equipment and supplies; and perform routine maintenance on photographic, sound and related equipment.
- Organize and maintain video and related digital assets in an identified library/channel based on a logical taxonomy and filing structure.
- Partner and collaborate with communications colleagues both in Trinity and across Duke in support of larger goals for Trinity College and its departments and programs.
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight, to balance competing priorities and consistently deliver high quality work, on time and on budget
- Strong storytelling skills, including an ability to both see and portray “the big picture” or advance a strategic goal while also paying keen attention to detail
- Understanding of set design, lighting, camera placement, sound and talent management for still photography or video
- Ability to quickly assess the best way to capture photos or video in any situation, quickly improvising and solving problems as they arise
- High level of proficiency in video editing, web and multimedia software, as well as knowledge of live streaming video and various methods of content delivery
- Proficiency using digital cameras with interchangeable lenses, artificial lighting such as flash strobes and LED continuous lighting, and audio hardware such as shotgun, lavalier microphones, and field recorders. Preference given to candidates who have familiarity with and grip techniques that support fill, key, and rim lighting supported by c-stands, diffusers, and grids.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software such as Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Premiere Pro (alternatively Apple Final Cut Pro X), Premiere Rush, Adobe Spark (alternatively Canva or Photoshop). Preference is given to candidates who have familiarity with complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud software such as After Effects (alternatively Apple Motion), InDesign, Audition (alternatively Apple Logic or Audacity), Photoshop and Illustrator.
This work generally requires at least two years of media production and photography experience to become proficient in performing a variety of creative, artistic and skilled photography and videography activities.
Work requires an understanding of the production of still and motion media projects in order to coordinate and direct the production of such projects, normally acquired through a college education in a media production area.
Workrequires at least two years of experience in media production including at least one year of cinematography or video experience to become proficient in the direction of media projects to include supervising the production, scheduling, contracting professional services, directing location shooting, sound recording, editing and various other related technical duties. OR AN EQUIVALENT OR COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.