Library Access Services AssistantLocation:
Clinton, NYOpen Date:
Jul 27, 2021Description:
This onsite position is a key member of the team responsible for overall operation of the Library Circulation Desk, providing access to library materials and information about the services, facilities and policies of Hamilton College’s Library and Information Technology Services (LITS). Academic year shifts will include weekends and evenings up to midnight; academic break and summer hours will be daytimes, Monday-Friday. Schedule flexibility and backup within the team is expected. The position contributes to the staffing and completion of projects and tasks for Circulation, Reserves, Interlibrary Loan, and Shipping/Receiving. Directs the work of student assistants. Reports to Access Services Librarian.
- Assists patrons in locating and accessing materials and utilizing library services.
- Oversees circulation of materials internally and externally.
- Collaborates with faculty in meeting their needs for service.
- Maintains library collections, electronic/print reserves, and equipment.
- Directs work of student workers.
- Monitors library operations
- During assigned shifts is responsible for the operation of the Library Circulation Desk.
- Confers with appropriate parties in making, changing and implementing library policies and procedures; interprets and enforces these policies.
- Observes and notifies supervisor of any safety, security, or other issues; implements sound judgment in resolving issues when a supervisor is not present.
- Directs patrons to appropriate LITS staff as requested. Assists with basic service desk (non-Circulation) questions, referring as appropriate.
- Actively participates in supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Hamilton community.
- May specialize or have an emphasis in additional tasks, such as Interlibrary Lending and Borrowing, or coordination of student workers. (Executing these tasks at higher levels will put this position at Senior Access Services Assistant.)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Library experience preferred.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment in working effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Critical thinking and complex problem solving skills.
- Service orientation; demonstrated exemplary manner in dealing with the public.
- Basic computer skills and willingness to learn new computer systems and programs as needed.
- Ability to work independently and set priorities for own work and that of others.
- Cognitive flexibility, adaptability, and enthusiasm for ongoing professional growth.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate orally and in writing; ability to collaborate.
- Focus and attention to detail; excellent time management.
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. In your cover letter, please describe your experiences with diversity and inclusion and your potential to support Hamilton's commitment to the same. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.