Description of Position
Assisting the Phlebotomy Instructor, this position is the skilled lab assistant for the various phlebotomy classes. Responsibilities include assisting students with labs and other work as necessary.
- Works closely with students to assure that they practice phlebotomy skills using
proper procedures and techniques
- Performs skills assessments and communicates findings to the phlebotomy
- Responsible for the set-up and take-down of the lab environment
- Assures that the lab is safe, clean and organized
- Assists with inventory management of phlebotomy supplies
Minimum Expectations & Requirements
- Associate's degree in related field
- Five (5) years recent work in phlebotomy or related field
- Certified phlebotomy technician or able to obtain certification within 90 days
- Skill in gathering, compiling and presenting information in oral and/or written form
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with staff,
community leaders, faculty, students, and the public
- Skill working in a diverse multi-ethnic, multi-cultural population
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team in accomplishing tasks
- Ability to analyze situations, develop solutions, and make independent decisions
based on established guidelines
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with college staff,
faculty, administrators, and outside contractors
- Must be reliable and be committed to student success
- Commitment to professional development
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician
- Experience training, evaluating, mentoring and advising students
- One (1) year of instructional experience
- Work experience in a community college/higher education environment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and competencies listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk
or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
The employee is frequently required to stand, bend; walk and reach with hands and
arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally
lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision and ability to adjust focus. Employee must be able to move classroom
furniture around to create the lab environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.