The Benefits Professional is an integral part of the Benefits Services team and is responsible for consultation with employees on their health and retirement benefit plans. This position assists employees who call or email the Benefits department and utilizes computer-based resources to review and retrieve information. The Benefits Professional uses their expertise and knowledge to assist Benefits Administration to meet the department’s service level expectations which include, but are not limited to, providing service, support, assistance, and counseling to university faculty, staff, retirees, and their dependents regarding the University of Colorado’s benefits plans. This position educates current, new, and prospective faculty, classified staff, university staff, retirees, and surviving spouses on all university and state benefit programs, policies, and procedures by clarifying and interpreting applicable laws, regulations, and contract provisions. This position reports to the Manager of Benefits Administration and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system. Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a caring problem solver and benefit guide to assist all employees, retirees, and dependents with their benefit inquiries.
- Counsels all new, current, and retired employees and dependents on their health, disability, life insurance and retirement benefits via telephone, e-mail, appointment, or as a walk-in customer to enable employees to get accurate information.
- Describes mandatory and supplemental retirement plan options and survivor benefits and explains eligibility and the enrollment process by clarifying and interpreting university and retirement plan policies.
- Serves as a liaison between university, employee, and outside entities (e.g. Healthcare and Retirement Plan Providers) to resolve benefit, eligibility, or claims issues.
- Tracks all work and customer communication using the Cherwell Ticketing system.
- Contributes to communications and website information as appropriate by tracking and reporting frequently requested information or new developments.
- Prepares written information for employees, departments, and vendors as requested.
- Updates and maintains integrity of Human Capital Management (HCM) system’s employee and dependent database by reviewing, auditing, and correcting payroll and benefit documents and data entry.
- Prepares adjustments to pay records by preparing and entering adjustments and requesting refunds or one-time payments as appropriate.
- Reviews reports as needed to provide information on topics such as incorrect benefit codes, data set-up, and employee payments.
- Determines appropriate user data entry for transferring (in or out) employees, including determining when to pay out leave balances (or transfer), benefits deductions.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However this position has the ability to work remotely. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses, but System Administration is not considered a campus. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty. Learn more about CU System Administration
.The University of Colorado has been proactive in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. You can visit our COVID-19 webpage
for more information.What we offer:Salary:
The salary range has been established at $47,000-$52,000.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Benefits:
The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator
to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
Additional taxable fringe benefits may be available.
More information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of basic benefit packages and their impact on employee recruiting and retention.
- Ability to deliver high level of commitment to customer service.
- Skilled in developing and delivering customer information.
- Ability to problem solve and provide efficient and effective solutions to inquiries.
- Ability to effectively handle complaint resolution.
- Ability to de-escalate situations that may become escalated.
- Ability to show customer’s empathy regardless of the inquiry.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and present relevant details of benefit plans and perks to employees to convey the value of these benefits.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities, while maintaining personal effectiveness.
- Demonstrated analytical skills with keen attention to detail.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to travel to all University of Colorado campuses.
- Ability to carry and set up laptop computers, printer/fax, and load/unload boxes of materials needed for on-campus seminars.
- Knowledge about health maintenance organization (HMO), preferred provider organization (PPO), and point-of-service (POS) healthcare plans, IRC Section-125, Flexible Spending plans, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and/or Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)/continuation of health coverage regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or equivalent professional experience (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis)
- One (1) year of experience in a benefit, human resources (HR), customer support, and/or insurance related role.
- Two (2) years’ experience in a benefit, HR, customer support, and/or insurance related role.
- Experience with benefits/personnel administration of medical, dental, flexible spending, COBRA, savings plans, and/or defined contribution retirement plans.
- Experience with PeopleSoft HCM.
Human ResourcesPrimary Location:
Jul 27, 2021Unposting Date: