Swim Instructors and Lifeguards - Essential
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges
in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu
The Trefethen Aquatic Center is looking for new Lifeguards and Swim Instructors to add to their aquatic team. All staff members are expected to work as both a Lifeguard and a Swim Instructor.Essential Job Functions:
- Arrive to work on-time and properly attired to perform duties.
- Enforce facility rules and follow policies and procedures.
- Open and Close the pool according to guidelines set by the Trefethen Aquatics Center.
- Teach swim lessons as needed.
- Assist in day-to-day operations (including, but not limited to, staff scheduling, submitting time sheets, light cleaning, and checking water chemistry).
- Addressing issues of concern with patrons.
- Takes initiative to ensure safety in the facility.
- Effectively scan their zone of protection and be able to respond to any emergency.
- Limits conversation with members, guests, and other staff members in order to maintain effective scanning.
- Anticipate, recognize, and react to all aquatic emergencies, and provide necessary reporting to direct supervisor.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time while maintaining optimum scanning vigilance of the pool.
- Must follow all policies and procedures set forth in the Mills College Aquatic Center Staff Policy Handbook.
- Maintain a professional demeanor during scheduled shift.
- Uphold a standard of care in all aquatic emergencies.
- Respond to all aquatic emergencies as described by the Emergency Action Plan.
- If needed, finds an appropriate approved staff member to substitute for scheduled shift at least 24 hours prior to scheduled shift.
Other reasonable duties and tasks as assigned by a supervisor for the benefit of the Aquatics Department.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Be fully COVID Vaccinated
- Possesses a courteous, professional behavior
- Able to act in a professional and calm manner while experiencing the mental and physical stress of responding to an emergency
Education and Training:
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time while maintaining optimum scanning vigilance of the pool
- The incumbent will often spend long hours expected to work in varying climates outdoors
- Work requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds, swimming distances and sprint swimming
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a temporary, part-time position that begins as soon as possible. The base starting pay is $16.00 for Lifeguard and $17.50 for swim instructor and will increase based on hours worked and performance review. Additional semester appointments are possible, based on job performance. Mandated benefits, including Social Security, State Disability Insurance, Workers' Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, and sick leave are included.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php
.All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Effective August 9, 2021, Mills College will require all current faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus prior to returning to campus. All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated prior to the first date of work on campus. Fully vaccinated is defined as two weeks following a second shot of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks following a single dose vaccine. For further information regarding the Mills' immunization policy, including medical and religious exemptions, please contact [email protected]
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=134302&CNTRNO=1&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency