Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Staff Assistant, Advancement Services (level 8) collaborates on projects and performs administrative functions in support of the Advancement Services team at the Fuqua School of Business. The Staff Assistant reports to the Director of Advancement Services and works closely with other members of the Development and Alumni Relations department.
Data management support (40%)
• Support alumni database management by updating biographical information, recording alumni engagement, and noting general life updates provided by alumni, staff, faculty, and through Fuqua event attendance.
• Support the transition of students to alumni status by working with the Advancement Services Coordinator to update biographical information and apply appropriate codes in the alumni database for each graduating class.
• Approve membership in the department’s alumni LinkedIn groups and communicate with constituents interested in joining the groups.
• Proactively communicate with alumni to ask for updated contact information.
• Create or enhance lists of alumni and other constituents as needed.
Administrative support (30%)
• Support the booking of donors’ pledges and payments by looking up and recording appropriate information for processing.
• Provide timely responses to messages in the alumni relations, alumni info, and alumni update email inboxes.
• Process expense reports and perform accounting reconciliation for expenses.
• Provide general office and meeting support.
• Serve as backup to other members of the administrative team as necessary.
Information and research support (20%)
• Provide timely responses to requests for information from alumni, students, faculty, and staff.
• Conduct research to obtain or verify alumni employment information.
• Conduct research as needed for alumni-related project work.
Event support (10%)
• Support student and alumni events, which may include faculty presentations, receptions, alumni reunions, and other activities both at Fuqua and off site. Logistics may include finding and reserving venues, reserving catering, making parking reservations, making name tags, and compiling event materials.
Strongly prefer two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
• Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and willingness and ability to master a proprietary SAP-based database tool.
• Successful project management experience, including meeting numerous deadlines and objectives and managing multiple concurrent projects with limited resources.
• Experience doing research using the internet and social media.
• Superb organizational skills.
• Strong attention to detail, flexibility, and ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication and customer service skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and experience handling confidential information.
• Strong work ethic in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment.
• Creativity, adaptability, diplomatic skills, and a sense of humor.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.