Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Assistant Director, Alumni Relations (level 12) leads alumni program development, supports regional alumni activities and volunteers, and collaborates with school and campus partners to advance the goals and aims of the Fuqua Development and Alumni Relations program. This position reports to the Director of Alumni Relations and collaborates with the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team and other Fuqua and Duke University departments on overall strategy, initiatives, and events.
• Manage Fuqua’s annual alumni reunion event, including volunteer management; budget oversight; program planning; contract negotiation; vendor management; staff assignments and training; on-site event management; and measuring outcomes.
• Create and lead in-person and virtual industry and affinity programming for alumni; provide suggestions for content; manage alumni, faculty, and staff “talent”; lead event logistics; and recommend marketing messages and communication channels to promote.
• Lead Fuqua’s worldwide social event for alumni and admitted students (“Fuqua Around the World”), including volunteer management and event execution.
• Create programming to support the transition from student to alumni, working to educate students and recent graduates about the power and importance of lifelong engagement with Fuqua.
Regional alumni community support
• Serve as strategic leader for Fuqua’s regional alumni presence; support alumni volunteers who aim to connect the Fuqua community in a region; connect Fuqua alumni volunteers to Duke Alumni and Development resources in region; and source Fuqua alumni leaders for Duke regional alumni boards.
• Serve as the Fuqua staff resource in keeping the Development and Alumni Relations team connected to Duke and Fuqua regional alumni activities.
• Represent the Fuqua Development and Alumni Relations team at events and alumni gatherings, including on-campus, virtual, and regional events.
• Collaborate with Duke Alumni Engagement and Development to support a unified Duke regional presence, ensuring Fuqua’s priorities and needs are articulated in the process. Serve as primary liaison to Duke University regional alumni managers to leverage university events and activities and be an effective part of the larger Duke network.
• Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
• Three years required but at least five years five years’ work experience with increasing responsibility preferred.
• Experience in higher education, alumni relations, or development preferred.
• Successful project management experience, including meeting numerous deadlines and objectives and managing multiple concurrent projects with limited resources.
• Successful volunteer management experience, including identifying, cultivating, training and stewarding individuals.
• Experience and comfort in interacting with students, alumni and parents, including senior level executives.
• Excellent skills in written and oral communication; teamwork and collaboration; and interpersonal interactions
• Sound judgment and experience handling confidential information.
• Creativity, adaptability, diplomatic skills and sense of humor.
• Willingness and ability to travel periodically and work on evenings or weekends as necessary.
• Strong work ethic in a fast-paced, results-oriented team environment.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Windows, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and willingness and ability to master proprietary database tools.
• Knowledge of The Fuqua School of Business and/or Duke University preferred.
Note: The above job description is not to be construed as a complete listing of assignments that may be given to any employee, nor are such assignments restricted to those precisely listed in this description.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.