Nursing: Contract Instructor-College Credit
San Diego Community College District
San Diego City College
Applications are now being accepted for a 10-month position of Assistant Professor, Nursing at San Diego City College.
One of three colleges in the San Diego Community College District, City College is an urban campus, minutes away from a world-class zoo and Balboa Park, providing academic and vocational offerings to meet the needs of a diverse student population. While the current vacancy is at City College, applicants should understand that they are subject to assignment at any District facility at the option of the Chancellor. In addition, applicants to this recruitment may be used to fill identical vacancies that may occur during the academic year.
- Academic preparation, skill, and/or experience teaching nursing in either a community college setting.
- Plan, organize, and develop instructional materials including presentations, lectures, demonstrations, homework assignments, laboratory exercises and project assignments consistent with approved course outlines; teach courses utilizing sound pedagogical methods and instructional strategies most appropriate to communicating subject matter to students to meet learning objectives; modify, as necessary, instructional methods to meet diverse student needs; participate in the development, assessment, and evaluation of student learning outcomes (SLOs); use available instructional technologies such as the internet, online learning and interactive technologies to enrich and facilitate student learning; participate in the review and selection of textbooks and other student materials for assigned courses.
- Preparation of curricula, development, and implementation of courses, student advising and feedback.
- The ability to make effective classroom presentations by demonstrating a working knowledge of learning theory, techniques of teaching, subject matter mastery, problem solving skills and communication.
- Ability to use innovative teaching methods and student retention strategies and apply technology to enhance and support student learning.
- The ability to use technology in day-to-day teaching activities including Microsoft Office®, Internet based applications and Human Patient Simulators.
- Demonstrated professional growth, participation in professional organizations and/or community activities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, colleagues, clinical staff, administrators, and clerical staff, including peer evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in working with students of great diversity in socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic background, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Willingness to remediate for other nursing specialties.
- Demonstrated competency in Medical-Surgical Nursing and Mental Health Nursing.
Master’s in nursing OR
Bachelor’s in nursing AND Master’s in health education or health science
OR the equivalent
OR the minimum qualifications as set by the Board of Registered Nursing, whichever is higher.
Under direction, plan, organize and teach assigned courses in an instructional field or discipline in accordance with approved course outlines, education code requirements and faculty contract provisions; provide feedback and guidance to students and evaluate student performance; and perform related duties as assigned.
The following qualifications are mandatory BRN requirements for all applications above and beyond the qualification listed above.
1. Eligibility for or possession of a current and valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in California; AND,
2. Completion of at least one year’s experience teaching courses related to nursing OR of a course that included practice in teaching nursing; AND
3. Experience in the practice of professional nursing in an accredited hospital or academic setting within the last 5 years; AND,
4. Demonstrated competency in Medical-Surgical Nursing and Mental Health Nursing.
Eligibility for or possession of a current and valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in California.
Class 1, Step A - Class 6, Step C ($5,883.75 - $7,928.01) per month based on the current AFT - College Faculty Tenured-Tenure Track Monthly Salary Schedule.
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement and it is non-negotiable. The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 - Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made within the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Typically, Assistant Professors earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency