Hudson County Community College
Position Vacancy Notice
Word Press Instructor, Incarcerated Population
(Part-Time, Grant Funded, Remote)
Posting date: July 22, 2021
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC students were born in 119 countries and speak 29 different languages. The diversity and the multitude of our community’s cultures, life experiences, skills and aspirations, are the very values and traits that empower us to be productive and caring members of our society.
HCCC embodies an unwavering commitment to student success and an intentional focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion. In 2019, the President’s Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (PACDEI) was instituted to develop new levels of understanding and access and advance the College’s commitment to transparency and inclusion. We are proud of the differences we share, which are the foundation for the life changing and transformational education we offer and the social mobility we provide to the communities we serve.
HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking. Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College offers courses and classes in a wide variety of disciplines to the people and businesses of Hudson County, one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the United States. The College was recognized with the 2012 Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) Northeast Regional Equity Award, was one of just five finalists in the U.S. for the American Association of Community Colleges’ (AACC) Student Success Award, and was presented with the New Jersey Business & Industry Association’s Good Neighbor Awards in 2009 for the Culinary Conference Center, in 2012 for the North Hudson Campus, and in 2015 for the award-winning Gabert Library. In 2016 the Gabert Library was one of three academic libraries in the United States to receive the Excellence in Academic Libraries Award from the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), and in 2019 the Tutoring Center received the Frank L. Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award for Two-Year Institutions. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding effort toward continuous improvement in student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education. Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
The Division of Continuing Education and Workforce Development is an exciting and entrepreneurial office within the College which offers a wide variety of non-credit classes, courses, seminars and training sessions for the community. These offerings are focused on revitalizing careers, upgrading skills and credentials, growing businesses and pursuing pastimes and passions. Additionally, the HCCC Center for Business & Industry (CBI) is the area leader in developing and delivering educational classes and programs for Hudson County’s businesses, organizations and individuals. Join a winning team focused on serving the educational training needs of the Hudson County business community.
The Division is in search of a Word Press Instructor (grant-funded, working with incarcerated population) to work part-time, in a remote setting, and as needed. Reporting to the Coordinator of Continuing Education and Workforce Development (CEWD), the part-time WordPress Instructor position is responsible for providing quality instruction to students that meet the program and course objectives. The instructor will explore the use of WordPress as a social networking blogging platform, marketing tool, and content management system for commercial websites. They will teach how to install and setup WordPress for a personal blog, install and modify a theme, add widgets and plug-ins,
Create and format posts, manage subscribers, promote a blog, and maintain the blog.
Position Summary/Job Description
- Demonstrate skill, knowledge, and abilities to successfully teach courses in WordPress in a remote learning environment. Teach assigned courses in a variety of times and locations in response to institutional need. Make continuous efforts to advance the quality of instruction.
- Develop and use a variety of teaching methods and materials to assist students who have differing educational and experiential backgrounds in meeting the course outcomes. Maintain appropriate professional relationships with students, colleagues and the community.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and ability to integrate online and remote learning platforms into classroom instruction; experience in distance education highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to provide diverse teaching methods to different learning styles. Must be able to teach students from diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Understanding of and commitment to the role of a comprehensive community college in an urban multi- cultural setting.
- Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course outcomes. Review, evaluate, recommend, and effectively use student learning materials.
- Provide students with a written and accessible course syllabus that follows the Course Syllabus Guidelines and facilitates a clear understanding between student and instructor of the content, goals, requirements, expectations, evaluation methods and schedule of work.
- Maintain a classroom environment that promotes teaching and learning.
- Maintain daily attendance rosters. Submit final student grades. Submit daily attendance rosters and grade sheets to the Continuing Education and Workforce Department.
- Ability to provide a positive and effective learning environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of professional career paths for which students are enrolled.
- Demonstrate motivation, dedication and enthusiasm for teaching.
- Good organization and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Three (3) years’ experience using WordPress.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and ability to provide remote learning instruction
- One (1) year experience teaching or tutoring computer technology.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a security-sensitive position. Employment resulting from this advertisement is subject to federal laws that require the verification of identity and the legal right to work in the United States. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background and reference checks. The College reserves the right to cancel or extend all recruitment actions. HCCC College is an AA/EO employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. The College is committed to diversity in its workforce.
For full consideration please send resume, cover letter, salary expectations and a list of three professional references to Ojanae Marshall, email: [email protected] or phone number: 201-360-5441.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.