Financial Aid Counselor
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Job Description:Campus Title:
Financial Aid CounselorState Job Title:
Staff Assistant Department:
Financial Aid Job Code:
Full-Time Permanent Timeframe:
52 Weeks Shift:
9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Regular Days Off:
Saturday and Sunday Supervision Received:
The Staff Assistant/Financial Aid Counselor reports to the Associate Director of Financial Aid.Supervision Exercised:
$46,000.00-$48,000.00 (Salary commensurate with education and experience) General Statement of Duties:
The Financial Aid Counselor assists the Associate Director of Financial Aid in the planning and organization of the student financial aid programs offered at Westfield State University. This person is responsible for assisting with the processing of financial aid forms and completing verification on files for the undergraduate population. This position will also assist with the processing of financial aid for part-time undergraduate & graduate students. Additional responsibilities include managing the main Financial Aid email account and assisting with the coordination of federal or state programs. Additionally, this position will be responsible for conducting outreach to current and prospective students and families on all aspects of financial aid.Duties and Responsibilities:Duties include but not limited to:Essential:
- Meet with and counsels student aid applicants and their families on all aspects of financial aid, including application procedures, processes, eligibility, costs, disbursements and loan repayment;
- Assist the Associate Director of Financial Aid with the processing of financial aid for part-time undergraduate & graduate students;
- Maintain and answer emails sent to the main Financial Aid email address;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all outreach activities, including hosting in-person and online sessions with students and families;
- Manage a State or Federal Financial Aid Program as assigned by the Director of Financial Aid;
- Manage a caseload of enrolled and prospective students;
- Participate in verification of student financial aid files;
- Utilize Banner and other financial aid software platforms as needed to complete job responsibilities;
- Participate in open house programs and new student orientation;
- Responsible for special projects as assigned by the Associate Director of Financial Aid or Director of Financial Aid;
- Attend training sessions and financial aid meetings to learn about regulations and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Ability to accurately process a high volume of detailed work within specific time constraints.
- Knowledge of principles and methods of counseling.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service excellence.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting an environment of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to provide information to supervisors, co-workers, students and their families by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Strong presentation, interpersonal, networking, and organizational skills.
- 1-2 years of Financial Aid experience.
- Familiarity with Federal Student Aid programs.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner Software.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.aspDisability Accommodations:
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.Background Check:
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
Application Instructions:An on-line application is required.
The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=133934&CNTRNO=19&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency