Associate Director for Research Compliance
The Associate Director for Research Compliance oversees animal programs and programs in the sciences related to environmental, health, and safety, and coordinates the administration and support for research compliance functions involving protection of human subjects, animal use, and biohazards.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
· Serves as the campus contact for information about best practices and government regulations related to research compliance and the responsible conduct of research.· Provides direct support to the college’s compliance committees: the Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), reviewing and managing protocol submissions, coordinating committee meetings, maintaining records, and preparing annual reports.· Provides guidance to faculty, students, and administrators on compliance committee requirements, to include assisting with protocol modifications necessary to obtain approval.· Oversees and manages registrations with federal agencies, monitoring compliance with agency requirements and facilitating revisions to college policies and procedures as necessary.· Reports signicant problems or violations of agency requirements as required.· Manages committee websites, including electronic submission forms.· Manages compliance with institutional policies on Financial Conict of Interest (FCOI) for grant-funded (sponsored) research and provides support to the institutional ofcial responsible for Middlebury’s Research Misconduct Policy.· Oversees animal programs, working closely with IACUC chair and attending veterinarian to determine requirements and ensure full compliance with USDA, NIH-OLAW, AAALAC, and other regulations and standards applicable to animal care and welfare.· Establishes policies and procedures related to animal care, vivarium operations, and environmental health and safety, in conjunction with IACUC, attending veterinarian, and Vivarium Manager.· Hires and supervises staff performing laboratory support functions related to animal care, laboratory safety, chemical hygiene, radiation safety, and hazardous waste management; negotiates contracts with the attending veterinarian.· Serves as Radiation Safety Officer.· Oversees required training for students, staff, and faculty on safety and compliance-related issues, and manages the vivarium’s occupational risk assessment program.· Develops and provides additional educational programs related to research, research compliance and the responsible conduct of research to the Middlebury community.· Identies areas of compliance vulnerability, performing risk assessments as necessary.· Provides advice and support to faculty on other research issues, including Material Transfer Agreements and Data Use Agreements.
· Exercises sound judgment, and prioritizes and manages time effectively.· Acts as a team player by working collaboratively and demonstrating initiative, creativity, sound judgment, discretion, and leadership.· Performs other related duties, as may be required.
· A Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) and at least two years of experience working in a compliance area are required. Master’s degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· The ability to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff.· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and a strong work ethic.· The ability to express thoughts in a clear, concise, and professional manner, both verbally and in writing, to audiences with widely varying experience in working with compliance issues.· Training in the following areas (may be taken after hire):
- Training suitable for serving as Radiation Safety Officer.
- Training on EPA and DOT requirements needed to be able to authorize or sign hazardous waste manifests.
· Experience working in a human subject protection compliance or an animal program compliance position in a higher education setting is preferred.· Prior experience working with research animals is an asset.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information on our background check policy can be found here: http://go.middlebury.edu/backgroundchecks
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/24726
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency