Job DescriptionThe University of Maryland, Baltimore School of Medicine
is seeking a Program Management Specialist
to work in the Department of Neurology. The Department of Neurology provides evaluation, treatment, and care for patients suffering from a wide range of neurological disorders including stroke, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and migraine. We provide care through our inpatient and consultative services, our designated Comprehensive Stroke Center, our Level 4 Epilepsy Center, our 22-bed Neuro-Critical Care Unit, and our busy outpatient practice. The Department also provides state-of-the-art rehabilitation services. A number of departmental faculty received grant funding from the National Institutes of Health and the Veteran’s Administration to study the role of genetics in stroke, epilepsy, and Parkinson’s disease, new brain imaging modalities in multiple sclerosis, biomarkers in multiple sclerosis, and neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism and intellectual disability. Many faculty are lead investigators in clinical trials to identify new therapeutic approaches for a broad range of neurological disorders.Under general supervision, this position performs a variety of routine professional and analytical assignments involving the practical application of management principles and techniques to routine operational activities.The Program Management Specialist coordinates activities and functions of the payroll and departmental human resources administration to ensure that goals and objectives specified for the program are accomplished in accordance with established priorities, time limitations, funding limitations or other specifications. The Program Management Specialist coordinates the Faculty Appointment, Promotion and Tenure program. This position will work closely with the Office of Academic Administration in the School of Medicine Dean’s Office. The Program Management Specialist is expected to function independently and exercise discretion to accomplish and improve the programmatic objectives. Work requires comprehensive knowledge of payroll, human resources and faculty recruitment, appointment, and promotion in working with issues related to policy, procedures and confidential matter. Incumbents exercise discretion and judgement with considerable consequence of error. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021).
UMB offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.PRIMARY DUTIES:
- Coordinate the Faculty Appointment, Promotion and Tenure for Department. Work closely with School of Medicine Dean’s Office Academic Administration.
- Assists with day to day administrative activities of the departmental payroll and human resources division with inter-related activities of other programs, departments, or staff to ensure optimum efficiency and compliance with appropriate policies, procedures and specifications.
- Prepares periodic reports, manage data collection and entry, keep records on program activities, progress, status or other special reports for management.
- Assists with recruitment of new hires, faculty and volunteers utilizing most appropriate promotional or marketing methods, such as individual letters, brochures or presentations at meetings.
- Assists in the preparation of final reports, recommendations, and other information resources for the improvement of the organizational element or its programs.
- Assists in planning and coordinating administrative activities of a program, such as assisting in the formulation and preparation of the organization’s budgets, grant proposals, and project proposals.
- Consults with program head and administrative officials regarding policies, trends, and interpretation of data and program needs following specific instructions.
- Conducts basic efficiency, time and cost studies and analyses of work processes and systems. Prepares simple statistical tables and charts, staffing patterns, workflow, and organization charts.
- Establishes effective communication channels and acts as liaison between the program and officials within and outside the institution.
- May supervises clerical personnel.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Two years’ experience in administrative staff work.REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES:
Prior Experience processing payroll and recruiting is a plus. Elementary knowledge of reference and research methods and techniques used in collecting, compiling, and organizing data and information; of basic methods and techniques used in organizing and conducting studies and analyses or programs, procedures, and organizations; of basic analytical and statistical principles and techniques. Skill in the use of office automation software and its application; in operating manual and automated office equipment. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; to present ideas and information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; to perform mathematical computations; to present statistical material in chart and graph form.OTHER:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).SALARY RANGE:
$39,024.39 - $43,902.44UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Non-Exempt StaffShift:
School of Medicine - NeurologyJob Posting:
Jul 23, 2021Unposting Date:
Aug 6, 2021, 11:59:00 PM