Chief Technology Officer Location:
System Office-Athens Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG), Information Technology Services (ITS) department is seeking to hire a Chief Technology Officer (CTO). This position is responsible for the overall leadership for the development, implementation, and ongoing maintenance of the USG Enterprise Architecture to include Academic, Administrative, Network/Internet connectivity and System Engineering services. The position is responsible for overall financial and personnel resources across multiple departments and programs. The Chief Technology Officer participates in decision-making for the entire ITS organization. This position is critical in leading the organization’s role in implementing strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals and in establishing an organizational vision of being an enabler for the business and technology needs of the USO and the USG. The CTO leads several teams that provide essential business services needed to enable, protect, and monitor infrastructure and network connectivity for the USG and other state and local entities.
Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Serves as a change leader by providing clear communication about the options for an improved future state, the value of new ways of working, and by inspiring new visions among USG leaders with regard to information systems and processes. Oversees program planning/control and system engineering efforts with a focus on long-term success and management of multiple efforts at various phases of their lifecycle. Coordinates with the University System Office and USG institutions to manage external relationships with Industry and the State of Georgia, as well as internal relationships with key stakeholders.
- Assesses federal and state regulations and the impact on USG programs.Engages with industry and thought leaders to understand business needs, policies, processes, and approaches. Assists in the development, maintenance and implementation of system-wide and departmental policies and procedures.Directs the development and oversight of department, program, and system budgets.Manages and administers budgets, grants, and other distinct funding programs, including budget oversight, project interface with other state teams, and monitoring key deliverables.Provides expertise to University System Office and to institutional faculty, staff, and administrators; supports decision making and activities at institutional levels.Guides and participates in USG governance activities for strategic initiatives affecting system-wide change.Participate in both leadership and advisory roles in USG strategic initiatives and special projects.Leads full system life cycle technical processes to include planning, defining requirements, development, implementation, transition, change management, risk assessment, cybersecurity, and maintenance.Advances the development of data governance across the organization.Communicates clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, with diverse program management and technology-focused populations across the USG, state and federal entities, ranging from operations staff to senior executive management.Delivers customer service by anticipating and meeting the needs of both internal and external customers.Manages, evaluates, and assesses staff performance, leading people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Provides an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications Education and/or Experience
Master's degree preferred.Over five years of relevant management experience required. Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may be substituted.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Knowledge, skills, and abilities required by the position:
Knowledge of Board of Regents policies, procedures, governance, and functions.Knowledge of current trends and innovation in higher education.Knowledge of federal and state laws, rules and regulations impacting higher education.Knowledge of University System of Georgia ethics policy.Skill in written communication to executive and subject matter expert audiences.Skill in managing and leading a professional staff.Skill in collaborating with multiple constituents.Skill in decision making and problem solving.Skill in strong leadership, interpersonal, relationship building and management.Skill in oral and written communication.Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals.Ability to manage human, financial and information resources.Ability to respond diplomatically to sensitive and critical issues.Ability to effectively manage multiple demands and to meet strict deadlines.Ability to analyze information and identify trends and data.Ability to summarize complex information and data. Preferred Qualifications and Skills
Strong leadership, interpersonal, relationship building and management skillsAdvanced degree in technical, business, or management disciplineProficient in understanding of business enabling technology application systems development life cycle and support processes (e.g., Project Management Professional, Certified System Engineering Profession, IT/IL Foundation Certification) Successful implementation and management of ERP systems (e.g., Student Information System, Learning Management System, Human Capital Management System, Financial System, Reporting and Business Intelligence Systems) within higher educationAbility to present to and collaborate with USG executive leadersDemonstrated experience managing and integrating strategic and operational efforts that resulted in significant improvements and transformative changeExcellent organization skills, self-directed, and naturally collaborative in nature for solution design and problem resolutionStrong communication skills, able to present complex data to executive leadership, operational leadership, and governance audiencesProficient in process design and/or the direction of process design development, implementation, and operationsStrong vendor contract and engagement management skills
- 8-10 years successful program management experience.
- 10+ years of experience leading business system change efforts.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple cross-functional teams from diverse units.
- Strong ERP application technology integration knowledge and understanding of ERP technology development processes, environment management, and configuration management.
- Proven experience in managing budgets, risk, and timelines of application development projects.
- Relational database experience, preferably Oracle
- Security related software development experience.