LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Part-Time)
Number of Vacancies:
School of Medicine / Education and Academic Affairs
Scope of Job:
To perform routine laboratory research and administrative duties.
Responsible for performing laboratory procedures, recording procedure results, purchasing, laboratory organization, and training of student researchers.
Description of Duties:
• Oversees medical students’ handling and use of Plastinates during evening and weekend hours.
• Ensures that all lab users follow State and Federal regulations and ethical procedures with regards to human anatomical specimen use.
• Moves Plastinates, equipment and supplies in and out of storage and places back as required.
• Maintains Plastinates anatomy laboratory.
• Safeguards the condition of the Plastinates specimens.
• Secures the Plastinates Laboratory before departing.
• Prepares laboratory analyses and reports test results.
• Collects and processes specimens for analyses including proper handling of paperwork.
• Evaluates sample results.
• Prepares, processes and collects samples.
• Sterilizes lab equipment and lab environment.
• Disinfects complete samples and lab environment.
• Keeps inventory and orders lab supplies.
• Maintains lab equipment.
• Maintains records for the lab.
• Aids in preparation of manuscripts for publication and poster presentations for scientific conferences.
• May perform other duties as assigned.
Close supervision from assigned supervisor.
Aids in supervising student researchers.
High school diploma or equivalent.
College level class work in Biology or Chemistry.
May be required to have All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) safety certificate or obtain within 6 months of start date.
• One (1) year of experience with laboratory and/or scientific procedures or
• Eighteen (18) hours of college level Biology and/or chemistry courses.
Proficiency in the use of PCs and other standard office equipment. Experience with standard laboratory equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Normal laboratory conditions. Occasionally requires working with hazardous chemicals, equipment and materials or in hazardous environments.
May require some evening and/or weekend hours. Occasional travel is required. Must be able to work cooperatively with a team of other researchers.
Commensurate with Experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date:
Grant Funded Position:
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non-discrimination in its education programs and activities, including employment. We encourage women, minorities and differently abled persons to apply for employment positions of interest.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dear Applicant, Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following: *Date of Birth *Gender *Ethnicity/Race Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days. If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/29572
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency