Data and Systems Support Specialist
University of Puget Sound
Career and Employment Services
Staff Posting Details Appointment:
Regular, full-time (1.0 FTE)Position Summary:
Responsible for managing, sustaining, and continually analyzing the effectiveness of integrated CES data and information delivery systems. Collects, inputs, and reports on data in PeopleSoft and other data systems. Performs system and data maintenance and testing in support of CES programs. Provides effective, accurate, and timely services to our constituents by ensuring reliability, accessibility, and relevance of information tools and providing administration and ongoing support for departmental applications. Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities: Data Management/Tracking
- Manages recruiting data and processes in PeopleSoft for student staff during key hiring times including data entry, data manipulation, status tracking, and responding to requests for information.
- Gathers, organizes, and prepares hiring source documents by reviewing data for missing information and resolving discrepancies.
- Creates source document templates to gather necessary hiring information.
- Enters job information, reviews for accuracy, and completes setup of job data and associated funding or financial aid awards for hired students in PeopleSoft system..
- Utilizes and develops effective processes and tools to consistently track hiring requests and job status of every student staff member and ensure timely hiring processes.
- Uses appropriate tools to develop ad-hoc queries, reports, and data models.
- Establishes schedules for regular report runs and manages collection and distribution of reports; reviews, interprets, troubleshoots, and summarizes reports as needed.
- Imports, manipulates, and reconciles data in Excel using functions, formulas, pivots, etc.
- Continually analyzes data management and tracking processes and makes or recommends improvements to support efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintains CES data and application system security.
- Regularly documents procedures and updates documentation as needed.
- Facilitates bi-monthly student payroll process in a timely and accurate manner to include State Work-Study (SWS) timesheet submission and reconciliation.
Systems Administration/Resource Implementation
- Maintains accurate and timely information within data systems to support efficient, effective payroll activities.
- Proactively identifies data issues in support of payroll processes and quickly resolves any payroll errors.
- Coordinates regular system testing, gathering test data, performing initial testing, coordinating user testing, reporting and following up on test results.
- Works collaboratively with staff members in Technology Services and HR when necessary to ensure integration with institutional data, application and processes as well as compliance to university technology standards.
- Provides troubleshooting support for all departmental technology-related issues with applications, third-party systems, hardware, etc. and coordinates with Technology Services and/or appropriate third-party vendor when necessary.
- Evaluates and recommends changes as needed to ensure departmental technology and student employment processes proactively support diversity, equity and inclusion and are in alignment with the mission and goals of the college.
- Provides support and training for CES staff on data systems, reporting tools, custom applications, and standards of use.
- Serves as departmental technology lead in technology projects and initiatives. Recommends and implements systems that support CES operations.
- Facilitates departmental survey processes in collaboration with CES team and other partners such as Institutional Research. Creates reports on survey data and findings as appropriate.
- Provides support for CES website editing and maintenance in a back-up capacity.
- Supports the development and maintenance of online forms.
- Seeks to develop and maintain general knowledge and understanding of Human Resources (HR) practices and procedures which may include recruitment, payroll, and HRIS (compensation, benefits, compliance)
- Supports the college's strategic plan, including the diversity strategic plan. Actively participates in department and university-wide work towards institutional equity and inclusion, demonstrating a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Performs other duties or projects as needed or assigned.
May supervise temporary and student staff members. May provide functional supervision and technology-related training to student staff to assist them in successfully accomplishing their tasks.Budget Responsibilities:
- Prepares internal student employment program budget reports to support the quarterly budget variance reporting process.
- In support of fund management activities, monitors utilization of student employment funds and apprises leadership of any trends/concerns with budget utilization. Consults with director on anticipated technology needs, and provides input and support for budget decision making.
- May prepare expenditure reports and projections to inform/support the development of student employment recommendations for the Budget Task Force.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Profession-specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of current technology trends and best practices
- Ability to use innovative thinking, and sound judgment in developing innovative solutions for technology challenges and the pursuit of opportunities
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with frequent interruptions to meet deadlines
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information and/or sensitive situations
- Ability to foster confidence and trust
- Interpersonal and communication skills that foster harmonious relations with constituents
- Demonstrates cultural competence and proven effectiveness in serving the needs of a diverse student, staff, and faculty population.
- Ability to manage complex projects
- Ability to quickly learn new software
Compensation and Benefits
- Associate or Bachelor's degree and one year of related experience OR equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated competence in working with complex database systems and query tools. Experience with PeopleSoft preferred.
- Proficient user of computers and computer software programs such as Microsoft Office.
- Intermediate skill level with Microsoft Excel required.
- Knowledge of project management and developing process documentation.
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, problem-solving, planning and execution skills with frequent interruptions
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking, debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Must demonstrate a strong customer service orientation and outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Higher education experience preferred (career services, student employment, human resources, financial aid, or related field).
- Supports and contributes to the success and development of colleagues.
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: https://pugetsound.edu/human-resources/benefitsApplication Deadline:
Review of application materials will begin immediately.
Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Required Documents:
Resume Letter of Interest
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of all required background checks and if applicable for the position, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment. All new hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or approved exemption.Diversity Statement:
We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives. We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community. We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: https://pugetsound.edu/about-puget-sound-0/mission-core-values/institutional-equity-diversity
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about
) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency