Staff Nurse Location:
Wheaton, ILJob Id:
687 # of Openings:
1 Staff Nurse Job Overview
The staff nurse at Student Health Services (SHS) provides nursing care to all Wheaton College students, making independent nursing decisions based on standing orders, policies and procedures, and the direction of medical providers. The staff nurse is responsible to the Director of SHS for administrative and clinical services rendered to students utilizing any of the acute or preventive services at SHS. Duties and Responsibilities
This job description is intended to represent key areas of responsibilities; specific assignments may vary from time to time, and other duties may be assigned. Qualifications
- Triages, assesses, diagnoses, and treats clients in the walk-in clinic including primary, urgent, and observatory care per medical standing order protocols.
- Refers patients to SHS medical provider or community medical provider when appropriate.
- Provides instructions and education to clients for treatment modalities, medications, post procedure discharge, preventable health care.
- Administers immunizations and allergy injections in prescribed SHS protocol.
- Performs phlebotomy and intravenous therapy.
- Performs Nebulizer treatments, 12 lead EKG, and other procedures as directed by standing orders of medical providers.
- Assists with entrance, sport, or student work physicals.
- Collaborates with all departments with the College and with the community to ensure holistic care for students i.e. Counseling Services, Residence Life, Athletics, Safety and security.
- Completes multiple types of CLIA waived tests: rapid strep, rapid mono, Flu A/B, urinalysis, hemocue, pregnancy test, with accuracy and log all results.
- Charts patient assessment accurately and promptly.
- Assists with on campus health promotion programs, i.e. Flu Clinics and Health Fair.
- Triages phone calls from clients and direct clients for care as needed.
- Ensure supplies and equipment working accurately in each exam and treatment room.
- Provides follow-up notices to students via phone, mail, or E-mail.
- Maintains quality control logs, chart reviews, and other quality assurance reviews.
- Learns current, relevant medical information applicable to patient needs.
- Assists in one of the following duties: travel immunizations/consultations, quality assurance, medication inventory, vaccine ordering, Quest lab supply ordering, medical supply ordering, autoclave or committees.
- College Degree preferred (BSN).
- Five years of experience.
- Experience with in-patient and out-patient health care.
- Hospital experience desired.
- Current RN license in the State of Illinois in good standing.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Physical, vaccinations, and tuberculosis screening or testing pre-employment and on a regular basis.
- Proficiency with the following computer programs: inventory management, Quest/360, EPIC, Travax, Banner, and Outlook.
The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear; frequently required to use repetitive hand motion, handle or feel, and to stand, walk, reach, bend or lift up to 20 pounds. FLSA Status -
Non Exempt As a Christ-centered community, Wheaton College faculty and staff must affirm the College’s Statement of Faith as expressing their own theological convictions and agree to live by the moral standards in Wheaton’s Community Covenant, modeling these commitments for the Christian formation of our students. Wheaton College faculty and staff also support the Christ-Centered Diversity Commitment which highlights our desire to treat all individuals as equal image-bearers of Jesus Christ through diversity, inclusion, justice and unity. Updated