Job DescriptionUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Francis King Carey School of Law is currently seeking a Paralegal OR Senior Paralegal. This position will be filled as either a Paralegal OR Senior Paralegal dependent on the selected candidate's qualifications.
The Clinical Law Program Paralegal or Senior Paralegal provides technical, administrative and research support for faculty, students and administration in the Clinical Law Program. The Paralegal will work researching the law, preparing legal documents, accomplishing routine administrative duties, interacting with individuals inside and outside the school, and working with paper and electronic file management. UMB was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine (Feb 2021). BENEFITS:
This EXEMPT position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Paralegal Primary Duties:
• Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, regulations, journal articles, recorded judicial decisions, treatises, constitutions, legal codes, and legal publications as needed by faculty.
• Prepare and format legal documents such as briefs, affidavits, pleadings, subpoenas, interrogatories, wills, contracts, and appeals for review and use by faculty and students.
• Receive, screen and respond to clinic-related inquiries on the phone or in writing. Provide general information about the law clinic and makes appropriate referrals on inquiries requiring specific legal advice.
• Provide routine and non-routine technical advice, problem-solving assistance and administrative support to the Managing Director.
• Manage registration, prepare materials and coordinate logistics for clinic-sponsored events, including but not limited to special programming, trainings and lectures.
• Provide support to students and faculty on electronic case management. Senior Paralegal will be required to do all duties of the Paralegal and the following duties:
• Edit and serve as proofreader for legal documents, including but not limited to Shepardizing®, verifying case citations and quotations, and applying Blue Book formatting rules.
• Assist in conceptualizing, developing and drafting of written documents such as training materials, brochures, and other information resources for improving the operations and outreach of the Clinical Law Program.
• Contribute substantially to the production of brochures, presentations, articles, and other forms of content dissemination.
• Perform specialized administrative and academic functions, including research and data analyses; program coordination and monitoring; data collection; and database, survey and report creation and implementation.
• Develop, coordinate and facilitate workshops, meetings, trainings and conferences hosted by the Clinical Law Program.
• Submit and verify electronic court filings through the federal and state eFiling systems.
• Perform and coordinate other administrative duties having a significant impact on the overall goals of the Clinical Law Program.
QualificationsMinimum Qualifications for Paralegal: Education & Experience:
Associate’s degree in Paralegal studies with three (3) years of related experience OR Bachelor’s degree and one (1) year of related legal or office experience Minimum Qualifications for Senior Paralegal: Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and three (3) years of related legal or office experience including at least one (1) year in clinical law support. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems including Microsoft Office 365.
- Experience in case management system required. Skill in LegalServer preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently.
- Spanish language proficiency required.
Commensurate with education and experience UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
Francis King Carey School of Law - Clinical Law ProgramJob Posting:
Jul 22, 2021Unposting Date:
Aug 5, 2021, 10:59:00 PM