Job DescriptionThe Office of Accountability and Compliance has an opportunity for an Executive Administrative Assistant.
The primary role of the executive assistant, under general supervision, is to provide executive level secretarial and administrative assistance to the Office of the Vice President, Chief Accountability Officer, Accountability and Compliance. This office is committed to fostering a transparent culture within which members of the University community are encouraged and feel supported in taking responsibility for seeking guidance and assistance in addressing accountability and compliance concerns. The selected candidate will utilize diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality, and exercise independent decision-making and judgment. Benefits:
UMB offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. The University of Maryland, Baltimore was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine. (Feb 2021) In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions
- Provides administrative assistance, such as writing and editing e-mails, drafting memos, and preparing communications.
- Composes replies to general inquiries requiring comprehensive program knowledge.
- Reads and edits outgoing correspondence for procedural, typographical and grammatical accuracy with general policy and factual correctness. Corrects and calls deviations or inadequacies to writer`s attention as deemed appropriate.
- Receives and reads incoming correspondence and information. Summarizes and prioritizes review of correspondence. Screens out items to be handled personally and forwards remainder with necessary background materials.
- Exercises independent judgement and initiative in establishing and revising complex and sensitive filing systems. Enters, updates, and retrieves information stored in files and databases; customizes special reports.
- Researches, analyzes and summarizes information and source materials for reports independently and communicates findings orally and in writing.
- Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors. Independently handles procedural and substantive matters and inquiries which do not require technical knowledge or refers callers to others as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments and engagements without prior clearance. Makes arrangements and coordinates all details for meetings. Assures that VP and Chief Accountability Officer is fully briefed before meetings on matters to be considered. May attend meetings and prepare notes.
- Makes all necessary arrangements for travel and independently performs required administrative follow-up and recordkeeping.
- Oversees office operations, ensures equipment, materials, and space are used efficiently and effectively.
- Acts as intermediary for the office, interacting with officials, staff at all levels, and the public. Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of institution policies, procedures, and special issues.
- Facilitates problem resolution. Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff and transmits directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the executive.
- Ensures confidentiality of information. Provides guidance to office staff.
- Supports office by using automated equipment such as facsimile machines, personal and networked computers and printers, copy equipment, voice messaging and electronic mail systems, and telephone equipment.
The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
High School Diploma or GED. Experience:
Four years secretarial experience. Other:
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience. Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the application of office practices, procedures, and equipment; of business English, spelling, grammar, and arithmetic; of UMS policies and procedures and the institution's purpose, goals, and procedures. General knowledge of and skill in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) to produce documents and maintain information. Skill in composing a variety of correspondence; in operating office equipment; in managing paper and/or electronic filing systems; in gathering and summarizing information; in maintaining confidentiality and handling sensitive matters with discretion and tact; in interacting with students, public officials and staff at all levels in a courteous and efficient manner; in planning, organizing, prioritizing and executing complicated and continuing assignments without instruction. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to understand and follow oral and written instructions; to project a professional and positive image of the institution; to make effective oral presentations; to oversee office operations. Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are
eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union). Hiring Range:
$48,500 to $53,500
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request.
You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Non-Exempt StaffShift:
Operations & PlanningJob Posting:
Jul 22, 2021Unposting Date:
Jul 29, 2021, 10:59:00 PM