The University of Maryland
is recruiting for an Accountant
to support the payroll operations for the School of Nursing. This position focuses on processing and summarizing all financial records relating to employee wages, leave, and deductions.
Accountability | Civility | Collaboration | Diversity | Excellence | Knowledge | Leadership
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources. Essential Functions:
- Performs, reviews and analyzes payroll accounting transactions insuring completeness, internal accuracy, and conformance with uniform general acceptable accounting practices (GAAP). Maintains school payroll accounts to verify accuracy of transactions and uniform application of payroll policies, procedures, and acceptable standards. Provides general research as needed.
- Prepare daily payroll activities and accounting transactions ensuring completeness, internal accuracy, and conformance with uniform general acceptable accounting practices (GAAP).
- Administers and maintains payroll accounts to verify accuracy of transactions and uniform application of policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
- Examines and ensures integrity/reliability of the financial accounting system. Works with principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to identify potential payroll discrepancies between financial system and departmental records, providing statistical information to isolate these areas and recommending new procedures to prevent deviations or undesirable accounting trends.
- Receives, analyzes, and reviews leave payout and leave adjustments, ensures accuracy and transactions are in accordance with system and applicable authority. and uniform application of payroll policies, procedures, and acceptable standards. Provides general research as needed.
- Ensure details of payroll transactions are recorded in journals, ledgers, and automated system by others. Adhere to unit and project activities under prescribed schedule.
- Prepares assigned budgetary transactions (i.e., payroll, accounts receivable, forecasts) on a daily basis.
- Runs and reviews payroll query results and statistics and notifies department if action is required.
- Process and assess overpayment and repayment process through payroll deductions. Review and approve payroll advances. Ensure details of payroll transactions are recorded.
- Assists with bi-weekly payroll processing including reviewing and approving electronic time reports for accuracy and completeness, running processes and troubleshooting issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelors in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.Experience:
Two (2) years of accounting related experience using general acceptable accounting principles Payroll processing experience strongly preferred.Other
: Related experience may be substituted for educationKnowledge/Skills/Abilities:
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experience.UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact [email protected]
. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. Job:
Reg or CII Exempt StaffShift:
School of Nursing - Administrative ServicesJob Posting:
Jul 22, 2021Unposting Date:
Aug 5, 2021, 10:59:00 PM