Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of Brunswick CSLCPosition Number :
002295Vacancy Open to :
All Candidates Department :
HSH SODM CPDREG1 SLC 5 Brunswick SuDepartment Homepage :
https://www.ecu.edu/dental/Advertising Department :
DENTAL MEDICINE, SCHOOL OF Division :
Health SciencesClassification Title :
Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant CSLC Director, BrunswickWorking Title :
Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant CSLC Director, BrunswickNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.00Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate with QualificationsPosition Location (City) :
Faculty (Teaching)Job Category :
Faculty (Dentist)Organizational Unit Overview:
The Division of Health Sciences is the largest and most complex division within the University, employing more than 900 EHRA employees and 1,700 SHRA employees. The Division is composed of numerous Centers, Institutes, and agencies such as East Carolina Heart Institute and Eastern Area Health Education Center, the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Nursing, the Brody School of Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, and the Laupus Health Science Library. In addition to the Academic and Administrative responsibilities of the division, the four professional schools provide clinical services throughout eastern North Carolina in a variety of settings and venues. Job Duties :
The School of Dental Medicine is composed of ten administrative offices and four academic departments. The Administrative units include the Offices of the Dean, Vice Dean, Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Associate Dean for Research, Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices, Assistant Dean for Dental Education and Informatics, Assistant Dean for Educational Support and Faculty Development, Assistant Dean for Academic Success and the Assistant Dean for Business Operations and Financial Affairs. The four academic departments are Surgical Sciences, Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, General Dentistry and Foundational Sciences.
Included in the mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to educate dental care providers (both dental students and dental residents) and to address the oral health care needs of the under-served population of North Carolina. The School of Dental Medicine meets these missions by operating dental clinics that provide both educational experiences for the dental students and residents and provides dental care to the residents of North Carolina. These clinics occur in both Ross Hall in Greenville, North Carolina, as well as Community Service Learning Centers located throughout North Carolina. In order to operate these clinics, appropriate dental auxiliaries and clinical staff are needed.
The Assistant Director of General Dentistry (Assistant Faculty Dentist) at Community Service Learning Center (CSLC), Brunswick Co., NC, School of Dental Medicine, East Carolina University, is a full-time (1.00 FTE) faculty member who will provide leadership and supervision of all educational and clinical activities in the Community Service Learning Center (CSLC) while providing a full range of general dentistry services in an underserved community. The Assistant Faculty Dentist works in conjunction with the School’s Offices of Extramural Clinical Practices, Clinical Affairs, Academic Affairs, and in collaboration with the offices of Business and Financial Affairs, Dental Education and Informatics, and General Dentistry to support all of the School’s programs and initiatives. Additionally, the Assistant Director works closely with other local, state, and regional healthcare organizations to provide information and services related to the CSLC. Minimum Education/Experience :
The responsibilities include oversight of the clinical operations, both as a provider and as mentor to dental students and Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) residents. The Assistant Director provides primary dental care to eligible patients, maintains and establishes clinical protocols consistent with the standard of care, and works with the business manager by providing leadership in the establishment and direction of a quality assurance program and adherence to infection control standards in the CSLC. The Assistant Director also provides leadership in insuring that the CSLC is a state-of-the-art dental education and care delivery facility. Responsibilities also include management of all clinically related patient matters and management of paid and volunteer clinical faculty.
The Assistant Director will be called upon to be “on call” during absences of the Director of General Dentistry (Full time Faculty Dentist) to mentor residents and students with after-hours care for patients of record only. They will also be called upon to fill in for the CSLC Faculty Dentist during periods of leave and illness.
This position reports directly to the CSLC Faculty Director Dentist and to the Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices.
Specific duties include:
• Working with the Associate Dean for Extramural Clinical Practices and with the CSLC Faculty Dentist in supervision of the CSLC.
• Providing high quality dental care to the patients at the CSLC, directly and while supervising students and residents.
• Guiding patient referrals and follow-up with appropriate personnel.
• Collaborating with other healthcare providers in the clinical setting.
• Working with the Division Chair of General Dentistry and Director of the AEGD Program to facilitate and insure consistency in clinical education and evaluation of fourth year students and AEGD residents assigned to the CSLC.
• Mentoring AEGD residents and fourth year dental students and supervising their clinical education and community service activities.
• Ensuring ongoing compliance with all local, state and federal laws, regulations, and Commission on Dental Accreditation standards.
• Participating in faculty meetings and designated dental school activities required of all part time faculty members.
• Maintaining current dental skills and practicing general dentistry stringently consistent with the philosophy of the school.
• Identifying solutions to local access to healthcare needs and assisting in coordination of community/regional outreach and health promotion programs.
• Working closely with all School of Dental Medicine faculty and staff to ensure that the CSLC is a vibrant and integral part of the dental school.
• Acting as an ambassador for the school while actively participating in local community/regional programs and events.
• Any additional duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean for Extramural Practices or
• DDS or DMD degree is required. License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
• Complete eligibility for a North Carolina dental license.
• Knowledge and experience in the successful operation of a dental practice, preferably in a rural community.
• Broad knowledge of issues in dental education and the importance of ethics in dentistry.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor dental students and residents.
• Outstanding clinical skills, excellent interpersonal communication and written skills, and a record of building consensus in an academic setting.
• Demonstrated ability to quickly respond to requests with accuracy, reliability and flexibility; this will often include multi-tasking patient, staff and student affairs.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the practice of all disciplines of general dentistry, including pediatric dentistry, management and operation of a dental practice, and experience in successfully working with students is required.
Complete eligibility for a North Carolina Dental LicensePreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education :
• Advanced education in dentistry (preferably AEGD, GPR or military comprehensive dentistry residency) Special Instructions to Applicant :
• Five years experience in the practice of general dentistry and/or a dental educational environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a dental educational/clinical environment.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with interested organizations, agencies, and individuals.
• Demonstrated experience in providing dental treatment for underserved populations.
• Demonstrated experience in building teams to identify problems and develop solutions.
• Experience with pre-doctoral and post-doctoral dental education and life in a rural community.
East Carolina University requires applicants to submit a candidate profile online in order to be considered for the position. In addition to submitting a candidate profile online, please submit online the required applicant documents: Additional Instructions to Applicant:
Letter of Interest
List of Three References (noting contact information)
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
07/20/2021Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant ProfessorQuick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status. Eligibility for Employment :
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department of Human Resources at (252) 737-1018 (Voice/TTY) or [email protected].
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.