: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Jul 6, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision from the Director of Facilities, the Sustainability Specialist will develop and coordinate campus-wide sustainability programs in the areas of teaching and learning, campus operations, and student success. The Specialist will staff and maintain the Virtual Center for Sustainability, serve as the Illinois Green Economy Network (IGEN) liaison, develop sustainable programs and facilitate activities that promote environmental stewardship, energy conservation, student success, and community outreach.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director of Facilities on strategic planning efforts to meet Oakton sustainability goals.
- Serve as campus spokesperson on sustainability. Oversee the communications aspects of activities and events, create digital content for the Oakton Website and promote sustainability initiatives to a wider audience, including the promotion of College sustainability events and submissions to the IGEN Network News.
- Serve on the Oakton Green Committee.
- Meet and collaborate with faculty and student leadership groups to plan and implement sustainable programs, events and activities.
- Implement a system/process to measure, track and report on sustainability efforts to support our commitment to a green college and meet obligations related to our participation in the Illinois Governors compact, various grant and IGEN activities.
- Manage the development of metrics for outreach and engagement programs.
- Represent Oakton at IGEN and other local and regional sustainability events. Participate in Illinois Green Economy Network (IGEN) efforts including IGEN Retreats, Bi-monthly IGEN and Monthly GUCS webinars. Respond to IGEN requests for information and data collection in a timely manner. Participate in AASHE and the annual Governor's Green Universities and Colleges Symposium.
- Increase best practice sharing among the college and local and regional programs.
- Participate in the application for grant funding of sustainability projects at Oakton and manage reporting requirements for various sustainability grant programs.
- Hire/manage student workers and volunteers to support activities and programs.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required in Engineering, Environmental Science, Public Policy or sustainable development, architecture, institutional planning or related field.
- Two years' experience implementing sustainability programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, administrators, classified staff, and represent the College externally in a professional and ethical manner.
- Word processing (Microsoft Word preferred), spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred) and presentation application (Microsoft PowerPoint preferred) skills required. Database software program skills highly desired.
- General office environment. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions. Must have ability to move around campus and grounds.
Administrative supervision is received from the Director of Facilities.
Functional supervision may be exercised over student employees and volunteers.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm Starting Salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.