Job no: 493802
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Role: Theatre Technician
As a result of the Covid-19 Delta Variant, the Governor of the State of Illinois has issued Executive Order 2021-20 (Covid-19 Executive Order No. 87), to include mandatory COVID vaccines or submission to weekly testing for higher education faculty, personnel, and college students, as well as issuing an indoor mask mandate for all. By choosing to apply, I acknowledge and understand that upon employment, Elgin Community College (ECC) may require proof of vaccination or weekly testing as required by this mandate.
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Successful candidates for this position must work in the state of Illinois.
Rate of Pay:
An employee in this classification performs work of moderate difficulty providing technical support for Elgin Community College theater productions and events, including scenery, lighting, sound and stage set-up Work involves the ability to maintain and clean theaters and equipment used in the making of productions. General supervision is received from the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school, with a minimum of one year prior experience as a theater technician or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Some knowledge on the operation of power tools.
- Working skill in developing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with internal and external customers
- Working skill in written and verbal communication
- Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- College level coursework in Technical Theater, Intro to Tech, Intro to Lighting, and Intro to Sound - can be enrolled in coursework at present.
- Construct, set-up, paint and tear down sets for all productions within the ECC theaters and other events, as assigned.
- Perform woodworking with power and hand tools.
- Load and unload scenery and equipment.
- Handle rigging to move equipment, sets, etc. for productions.
- Hang, focus, set-up and tear-down light fixtures.
- Set-up and tear down sound equipment.
- Act as general stage hand for all performances, as needed.
- Store and maintain props, costumes, lights, tools, etc.
- Perform maintenance and repair of all theater and scene shop equipment.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certification
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality
Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
- May use a truck and/or other machines to deliver/remove scenery and equipment.
- Operate light board during rehearsals, techs and performances.
- Operate sound board during rehearsals, techs and performances.
- May require a valid Illinois driver’s license.
- Other duties as assigned that pertain to the job description
Heavy (up to 100 lbs occasionally or 50 lbs frequently or 25 lbs constantly
Visual Acuity (arm’s length)
Outdoor weather, hazards, vibration, fumes or airborne particles
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date is 07/19/2021. Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 07/27/2021 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: August 18, 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled