Job no: 493811
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
As a result of the Covid-19 Delta Variant, the Governor of the State of Illinois has issued Executive Order 2021-20 (Covid-19 Executive Order No. 87), to include mandatory COVID vaccines or submission to weekly testing for higher education faculty, personnel, and college students, as well as issuing an indoor mask mandate for all. By choosing to apply, I acknowledge and understand that upon employment, Elgin Community College (ECC) may require proof of vaccination or weekly testing as required by this mandate.
Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Successful candidates for this position must work in the state of Illinois.
Rate of Pay:
$13.00 minimum hourly rate
An employee in this classification performs work of routine difficulty by preparing food according to established quality food standards. Immediate supervision is received by the assigned manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), minimum of one year experience in the food service area, to include basic line cook experience and an understanding of proper sanitary practices or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Possess a Certificate of Sanitation by the State of Illinois Department of Public Health, or the ability to obtain certificate within 30 days.
- Working skills in cleanliness of prep area and quality of work.
- Working skill in organizing work to meet established deadlines while maintaining attention to detail.
- Working skill in interpersonal interaction to be applied to a variety of individuals with differing education, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Working skills in verbal and written communication.
- Working skill in operating a personal computer, applicable software and peripheral equipment as well as learning and adapting to new and updated programs and technology.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends when required by the department’s needs.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Prepare food for the cafeteria grill (frying, grilling, baking, etc.).
- Maintain friendly and helpful customer service.
- Maintain a sanitary cafeteria area, according to State of Illinois Department of Public Health standards.
- Prepare food and provide assistance for various caterings and events.
- Maintains required training, licensure and/or certifications
- Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to applicable privacy laws
- Demonstrates sensitivity, understanding and respect of diverse populations within the workplace.
- Maintains an understanding of the work of colleagues to effectively provide backup and/or support for co-workers during times when the division is short-staffed or experiencing an increased volume of work.
- Adheres to department guidelines for attendance and punctuality
- Perform other duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Heavy (up to 100 lbs occasionally or 50 lbs frequently or 25 lbs constantly)
Typical office or administrative
Fumes or airborne particles
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 07/20/2021. Elgin Community College Support Staff Association(SSECCA) members that apply by 07/28/2021 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: July 20, 2021 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled