This position is responsible for enforcing state and local laws as well as campus regulations and for protecting life and property for Gordon State College.
Salary is: $33,280.00
- Patrols to detect and deter crime and to offer assistance when needed. Enforces parking regulations; issues citations. Investigates suspicious activities or persons. Checks the security of buildings. Prepares required reports. Investigates traffic accidents and criminal or non-criminal incidents. Makes arrests of individuals who have committed crimes. Testifies in court as required. Provides assistance to motorists. Responds to emergency incidents. Provides security and traffic enforcement at special events. Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement principles and practices. Knowledge of community policing principles. Knowledge of emergency preparedness, response and recovery principles. Knowledge of public safety principles as related to college campuses. Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs. Skill in the operation of specialized law enforcement equipment. Skill in decision making and problem solving. Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public. Skill in oral and written communication.
The Police Sergeant assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include local, state and federal laws and college policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related law enforcement and emergency response duties. The necessity of responding to potentially dangerous situations contributes to the complexity of the position. The purpose of this position is to perform law enforcement and public safety duties for Gordon State College. Success in this position contributes to the safety of campus students, staff, faculty and visitors and to the enforcement of federal and state laws as well as college rules and regulations.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college employees, students, parents, representatives of other law enforcement agencies, representatives of other emergency response agencies, and members of the general public. Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, or to resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, running, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell. The work is typically performed in buildings and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, and hazardous or dangerous situations. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc. as well as other specialized law enforcement equipment.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent. Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one year. Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia. Employment is contingent upon psychological screening.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Gordon State College will provide equal opportunity to all employees, students and applicants for employment or admissions without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by the federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.