The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is seeking an Assistant to the Vice President/Chief Diversity Officer in the newly created Office of the Vice President/Chief Diversity Officer. The Office of the Vice President/Chief Diversity Officer oversees and advances UMB’s strategies for institutional equity, diversity, and inclusion and promotes sustainable organizational change and accountability. The Office provides direction, builds capacity, develops partnerships and collaborations to facilitate shared responsibility for creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive University and works to foster excellence and equity across all dimensions of the academic mission and culture of UMB.
Under the direction of the Vice President/Chief Diversity Officer (VP), this position will provide high level executive assistance and direct day-to-day support of VP that requires assistance during traditional and non-traditional working hours. The individual will utilize diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality, and exercise objective decision-making and judgment. This position assists in execution of University operations, while working closely with other members of the administrative and program management teams to coordinate activities. Acts independently to resolve administrative problems and has oversight of administrative operating budget or expenses.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
The ideal candidate will personally connect with the Administration and Finance Guiding Principles which closely mirror UMB’s core values: Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Knowledge, Leadership, Communication, & Work/Life Balance.
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be processed through Human Resources.
- Coordinate daily operations of Office and support the VP in scheduling that includes all travel scheduling, expenses tracking, and meeting management and content with internal and external parties.
- Provide complete planning for meetings, conferences hosted by the VP and groups including communication materials and presentations. Assure executive is fully briefed before meeting on matters to be considered
- Manage and coordinate correspondence and reports on behalf of VP. Gathers and compiles material and interprets data to prepare new and recurring administrative reports. Drafts financial, statistical, budget, narrative, and other reports as required. Peer reviews correspondence drafted by VP.
- Manage, evaluate, and improve the effectiveness of the Office’s administrative resources.
- Assist in budget monitoring and oversees the processing of all travel expenses, invoices, and purchases for the Office. Oversee space planning, moves, change requests for space, furniture or equipment.
- Act as a problem identification and resolution resource, answers questions, provides guidance, troubleshoots, and follows up in resolving problems, both internal and external.
- Conduct necessary research regarding University operations and informs Vice President of findings so they may accomplish University objectives.
- Represent the University in on-campus and off-campus groups or meetings with faculty, students, governmental representatives, and members of the general public. Act as a liaison for faculty, staff, students, and executives. Participate in special projects and performs other administrative duties having a significant impact on the overall goals of the University.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree.
Experience: Three (3) years required but prefer at least five (5) years related administrative or business operations environment working with a senior executive or Vice President.
Supervisory Experience: One year or more of direct supervision or overseeing training, work coordination, and monitoring work of others.
Other: Related experience may be substituted for education
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks with strong use of initiative, sound judgment, objective thought, and precise attention to detail with a high level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated experience with complex calendaring, travel, and event planning
- Strong writing, proofreading and composition skills with ability to draft, edit and finalize various forms of communications using proper grammar and writing styles with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts.
- Ability to use high-level discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Advanced skills in the use of standard software applications to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail programs, and internet browsers.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to demonstrate, comprehend, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
- Accomplish assignments by applying specialized and theoretical knowledge, standards, and concepts of a professional discipline normally acquired through advanced education or specialized training.
- Resolve issues and significant matters on behalf of management by utilizing judgment, discretion, creativity, and systematic thinking. Contribute to development and evaluation of goals and outcomes.
- Create solutions to ensure an equitable, diverse, and inclusive University.
- May manage or administer programs, processes, projects, or resources.
- Applies in-depth, senior level knowledge, concepts, standards, and skills.
- Wide latitude in interpreting unclear or inadequate guidelines.
- Supervisor and employee collaborate to develop goals and outcomes.
- Confers with supervisor only on controversial or far reaching matters.
- Proactively resolves broad and unique matters requiring sophisticated analysis and interpretation.
- Acts as resource to others.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.