ASSOCIATE REGISTRAR FOR OPERATIONS
The University of California Hastings College of the Law was founded in 1878 as the law department of the University of California and was the first law school in California. Over the years, it has built a legacy and reputation of being a preeminent institution comprised of renowned faculty committed to the study of legal theory and research, preparing students for careers in the judicial system, public service, and industry.
The College is redefining legal education through an experiential, interdisciplinary, and international approach to the law. By integrating rigorous academics with hands-on practice, the College is preparing its graduates to tackle modern legal challenges.
The Associate Registrar for Operations is responsible for the hands-on management and coordination of the operations of all Records Office functions including, but not limited to, enrollment, exam administration, State Bar and Moral Character certifications, and degree audits for approximately 1000 students. The Associate Registrar acts for the Registrar in her absence and is responsible for day-to-day oversight of personnel in the Associate Registrar’s reporting line.
The Associate Registrar for Operations works collaboratively and uses technology to evaluate service levels, develop and deliver new services, promote a self-service model, and incorporate best practices. With minimal supervision, they plan and oversee the implementation of various recurring projects within the Records Office. This role requires global and long-range planning and attention to detail, knowledge of a Registrar’s Office best practices, and the ability to adapt to changing regulations and technologies in a fast-paced department.
Typical duties and responsibilities consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
• Oversees the daily operations of the Records Office ensuring compliance with the University, state and federal laws, policies, and regulations.
• Responsible for the supervision of personnel within their reporting line.
• Oversees exam administration and grading, including managing the departmental budget for hiring proctors and exam administration.
• Serves as a liaison with exam software providers. Responsible for process design and systems improvement in managing the examination, grading and proctor training process.
• Oversees transcript and rank analysis to determine various awards: Order of the Coif, Thurston Society, CALI and Witkin awards.
• Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
• Communicates with other offices, students and faculty regarding key Records Office events and timeframes and services orally, in writing and online via the department’s website whether directly or by delegation. Develops new content as needed, in consultation with the Registrar.
• Develops data sets for assessment or special project purposes; provides ongoing and ad hoc reports to the administration and various faculty and adjuncts.
• Advises Registrar, Assistant Dean of Students and the Academic Dean on trends and issues; analyzes data and sits on committee meetings as needed; makes recommendations and works to implement changes; and revises office procedures to keep current with changes in the industry and with Academic Regulations.
• Assists the Registrar in preparation of strategic plans and estimated annual budget expenses, especially in relation to exams, grading and other areas within supervision.
• Oversees and serves as backup for a variety of administrative work covering the key areas.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
• Master’s degree (preferred) or Bachelor’s degree (required)
• Five to seven years of administrative professional experience in higher education, tech or non-profit operations. Familiarity with the operations of a records/registrar office preferred.
• Experience creating, managing and running examinations and working with electronic examination software preferred.
• Knowledge of course creation, roster management and file transfer protocol within the exam software preferred.
• Demonstrated experience supervising staff.
• Solid database management/data query experience, preferably with Ellucian Colleague and Entrinsik Informer or other reporting software.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Working knowledge of federal regulations, national trends and best practices, FERPA Requirements and AACRAO guidelines.
• Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments. Requires employee development and performance management skills.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to quickly learn Academic Regulations, the Course Catalog, institutional & departmental processes and policies.
• Advanced word processing and Excel skills, Google Docs and other document sharing platforms.
• Skills in project management and analyzing information, situations and procedures to define problems and formulate conclusions with a positive attitude.
• Ability to work as a member of a cohesive team.
• Scheduling flexibility during periods of peak activity.
• Understanding of and commitment to diversity and inclusion, and to UC Hastings Vision, Mission and Values and ability to work with diverse staff, faculty and students.
• May be required to travel to other buildings on the campus. May be required to attend conference and training sessions within Bay Area or in- or out-of-state locations.
• Ability to push carts between buildings and carry 25 pounds (exam materials)
Health and Welfare Benefits
• Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance coverage
• Flexible Spending Accounts for transportation-related, healthcare and dependent care expenses
• Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
• Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, and Legal Insurance
• University of California Retirement Plan (a defined benefit plan)
• Deferred Compensation Plans/Pre-tax Retirement Savings Programs
For your Work/Life Balance
• Fourteen paid holidays per year
• Generous vacation and sick leave
• Commuter Benefits Program
This full-time, exempt opportunity offers a salary range of $70,820 - $85,137 (commensurate with qualifications) plus an excellent benefits package. To apply: https://uc-hastings.breezy.hr/p/a4d971ea5bef-associate-registrar-for-operations
Failure to provide the information as required on the application form and to include a resume shall immediately disqualify an applicant from employment consideration. This position has been designated as "sensitive" and requires a pre-employment background check. This position is open until filled.
UC Hastings College of the Law is an Equal Opportunity Employer