Job no: 509255
Work type: Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Computer Science
Union: Post Doc
Categories: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This Postdoctoral Research Associate position is associated with the National Science Foundation funded Engineering Research Center on Quantum Networks. The focus of the center is very broad and includes research on quantum networks, quantum communications, quantum information theory as it applies to networks, distributed quantum computing, and distributed quantum sensing. The focus of the postdoc position is to perform research on one or more of the following topics: modeling & analysis, design, and optimization & of distributed quantum systems. The postdoc will be expected to work with the teams of Professor Don Towsley at UMass Amherst and Professor Leandros Tassiulas at Yale University. The postdoc will have the opportunity to interact in a very rich environment with a diverse set of researchers drawn from not only UMass and Yale, but also from University of Arizona, Harvard University, MIT, and University of Oregon.
- Contributes to research in the Center on Quantum Networks. This can involve: developing new architectures, algorithms, protocols for quantum networks and/or distributed quantum computing; modeling and analysis of quantum networks; optimization and control of quantum networks.
- Supervises research assistants.
- Describes techniques and results for use in scientific papers and conferences; assists in writing reports and articles.
- Contributes to the development of new research proposals.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field.
- Capacity for excellent research, as demonstrated by publications and other professional activities, appropriate to the number of years in the field.
- Expertise with programming languages appropriate to the specific field of study.
- Familiarity with one or more specialized subareas of investigation within Computer Science.
- Ability to work with a minimal amount of supervision.
Start date for this position is negotiable.
Please submit a motivation statement, CV, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Please apply by August 26, 2021 to ensure consideration.
For informal inquiries, please contact Professor Don Towsley at [email protected].
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 19 2021 Eastern Daylight Time