Provide assistance to Instructors, Science Lab Specialist, and students by arranging materials used in Science laboratories, and the maintenance and care of science areas.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities (include, but not limited to)
1. Set-up laboratory experiments and equipment. Calculate, measure, prepare, sterilize, and store microbiology media. Prepare chemicals following standard procedures. Prepare specimens for dissection. Arrange classrooms with proper tools and technologies.
2. Takedown laboratory experiments, restock and refill supplies, store all materials following standard procedures and safeguard materials and equipment. Collect, organize, autoclave, and package biological waste for removal. Pick-up and put away items used in prep labs and classrooms.
3. Assist instructors and students in Electrocardiogram and Pulmonary Function labs. Utilize existing software for data collection and print results.
4. Maintain the cleanliness of preparation areas and classrooms. Wash glassware, desktops, anatomical models, lab equipment. Prepare and refill bench disinfectant. Stock gloves, napkins, paper towels, and cleaning supplies.
5. Collect instructors’ syllabi and create a master lab schedule. Update master lab schedule as needed. Cross reference lab preparation binders and manuals to determine required chemical quantities and ensure accuracy.
6. Assist with inventory for ordering of supplies and surplus equipment bid items. Assist in updating lab preparation binders. Shop at local grocery and retail stores for supplemental preparation and laboratory materials.
7. Maintain current professional knowledge in the field through professional education and activities.
8. Participate in and contribute to assignments and special projects of a similar nature and level.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Knowledge of basic Math, including algebraic conversions, percentages, metric measurements, and formulas
- Familiar with basic chemistry and basic anatomy
- Familiarity and ability to use computer applications and programs for completing work tasks
- Organizational and time management skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills - oral, written and listening for interaction with faculty, staff and students
- Ability to apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to work processes
- Ability to learn, understand, and follow safety rules for handling and discarding chemicals and biohazardous materials
- Ability to attend to detailed work, maintaining a high level of accuracy; ability to learn, understand, and follow instructional lab manuals, written and oral instructions, and routine procedures
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and work on several projects at a time
- Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on instructional and lab equipment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High School diploma and one semester post-secondary coursework in chemistry, basic anatomy or related field
- One year of work experience, preferably related to the instructional area of chemistry, basic anatomy or a related field
The Lab Assistant supports the Math/Science department and is available on or before August 16, 2021.
Position InformationThis is part-time, 32 hours/per week, less than 12-month position and only works when school is in session. Hours are generally Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Application Details:
All applicants (both internal and external) must attach/complete the following for consideration:- Resume
- Cover LetterAll candidates must complete the online application by August 1, 2021 by 11:59 p.m.
Applications must be complete and thorough; see resume will not be acceptable. Applications that do not have the required attachments (resume, cover letter and proof of education) will not be considered.