Duke Homecare & Hospice offers hospice, home health and infusion services. Hospice care is offered to terminally ill patients in their home, skilled-nursing facilities, assisted-living facilities, and at our two inpatient facilities located in Hillsborough and Durham, North Carolina.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
To view how this role is valued within the Duke HomeCare and Hospice area click here:https://youtu.be/YWkc4XBwdao
Perform a variety of nonprofessional nursing duties in the direct care of patients under the direct supervision of an RN/LPN. Perform tasks within the scope of a nursing care assistant I and II as defined by the NC Board of Nursing.
Shift: Monday-Friday 8a-5p
- Prepare patients, equipment and supplies for specific procedures and required.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining required training.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
- Clean assigned area; stock and replenish supplies and equipment.
- Collect, deliver and conduct routine tests on patient specimens.
- Obtain and record patient data for medical records noting and informing RN/LPN of information collected.
- Perform fingersticks for blood glucose testing, with appropriate Assist with admission, discharge, and transportation of patients. catherizations/irrigation.
- May also perform sterile dressing change for wounds over 48 hours old, Take and record vital signs, record I&O, apply ice bags, administer Assist physician and nurses with physical examinations by helping ambulation, enemas, skin care, and bowel and bladder elimination; provide manual assistance as required.
- Administer treatment and personal care procedures to patients including, but not limited to, feeding, bathing, shaving, changing clothing, cleaning and trimming fingernails, bed-making, assisting with provide such additional care as required to meet the personal needs and comfort of assigned patients.
- Participate in teaching activities by reinforcing teaching instructed by RN and/or physician as needed. Position patients, changing non-sterile dressing and weighing patients. douches and enemas. Note and report any changes in patient's condition.
- Turn and position patients, set up and feed patients as necessary, provide patients with fresh drinking water.
- Follow standard precautions and use personal protective equipment as skills validation and attending educational offerings.
- Support the development of other staff and formal learners. IV fluid assistance activities, oral/nasogastric feeding and urinary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair throughout hospital.
Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene and basic health and Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions Working knowledge of the organization and physical layout of the patients and hospital staff.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.