SSS STEM Academic Counselor Location:
Atl Metropolitan State College Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Welcome to Atlanta Metropolitan State College (AMSC), a University System of Georgia (USG) institution that is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Atlanta Metropolitan State College has a rich history that is tied to the City of Atlanta for which it is appropriately named. The college offers high quality baccalaureate, associate and certificate programs that are challenging, comprehensive and very affordable. Atlanta Metropolitan State College currently serves about 3,000 students and is situated on a beautifully landscaped Southwest Atlanta campus; which is located ten minutes south of downtown Atlanta and fifteen minutes north of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
This position is with the Student Support Services STEM project. It is a federally funded TRiO program designed to work with students who are first generation, low income, and have a documented disability. The project provides opportunities for academic development that leads to retention and graduation.
SSS STEM provides academic tutoring, which may include instruction in reading, writing, study skills, mathematics, science, and other subjects; advice and assistance in postsecondary course selection, assist student with information on both the full range of student financial aid programs, benefits and resources for locating public and private scholarships; and assistance in completing financial aid applications. Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy and assist students in applying for admission to graduate and professional programs; and assist students enrolled in two-year institutions and applying for admission to, and obtaining financial assistance for enrollment in four-year programs.
SSS STEM also provides individualized counseling for personal, career, and academic information, activities, and instruction designed to acquaint students with career options; exposure to cultural events, mentoring programs and academic programs across the United States.
- Assist the Project Director in implementing the SSS STEM program.
- Assist the Director in coordinating and planning project activities to ensure compliance with federal regulations and AMSC policies.
- Assist Director in recruiting, identifying, screening and selecting eligible students.
- Conduct intrusive and intensive individual counseling sessions.
- Monitor project participants to avoid academic failure.
- Provide personal, financial, career and graduate school counseling.
- Monitor, track and evaluate students’ progress.
- Maintain and update SSS STEM database.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Assist Project Director in completing reports (mid-year and annual).
- Collaborate with the AMSC faculty, staff, administrators and the community at-large.
Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, Educational Management, Educational Administration, Developmental Education, Psychology or a related field.
- Three years’ counseling/academic advising with college students.
- Three years’ experience in working with low-income and first-generation persons.
- Knowledge of financial aid programs and application procedures.
- Experience with computers and database systems.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in developing and facilitating workshops for students.
- Experience in compiling, analyzing and disseminating student data.
- Ability to work with a broad range of faculty, staff, administrators and the community at-large.
PREFERENCE will be given to candidates with TRIO experience or candidates who have succeeded in overcoming similar barriers of the student population being served.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Atlanta Metropolitan State College is an equal employment opportunity employer. Atlanta Metropolitan State College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or military/veteran status.
EVerify # 111036