PG191081EPInternal Recruitment :
Associate Head, Digital Library InitiativesAnticipated Hiring Range:
Competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experienceWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday; Exempt positionJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
NCSU LibrariesAbout the Department:
The NC State University Libraries supports and enables research and learning by providing collections, services, spaces, and technologies for the NC State community and its partners. The Libraries is committed to being a powerful competitive advantage for the university in every aspect of its mission, including attracting and retaining the best faculty and students and promoting their success. To that end, we foster a culture of creativity, diversity, and innovation. The library system consists of the D. H. Hill Jr. Library, the James B. Hunt Jr. Library, and branch libraries for design, natural resources, and veterinary medicine. With a staff of almost 300 FTE, the Libraries has more than 5.3 million volumes in its collection and has a total annual budget of over $30 million. The Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Digital Library Federation, the Coalition for Networked Information, the Council for Library and Information Resources, the Center for Research Libraries, and the Triangle Research Libraries Network. For more information about the Libraries, please see https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/about. Essential Job Duties:
The Digital Library Initiatives (DLI) department applies systems analysis, design, and service and software development skills to the creation of a broad range of new library products and services. DLI has produced a number of unique, and widely used, open source systems to improve service to library users, including the Suma space assessment toolkit, the QuickSearch bento-box style single-search system, and the Circa request management system for archives. The department is currently developing new initiatives in areas including the discovery of library services and resources, research infrastructure support, digital collections, researcher profiles and identifiers, machine learning, assessment and analytics, and research data management. DLI maintains a culture of collaboration, with a focus on supporting everyone’s professional growth, providing opportunities for mentorship, and welcoming diverse perspectives.
The Associate Head, Digital Libraries Initiatives leads teams that advance library services through applied research and application development and oversees and manages the entire lifecycle of projects, from requirements gathering to deployment. This position reports to the Department Head, Digital Library Initiatives.
- Shares management responsibility for the department; supervises librarians, staff, and student workers; represents the department in the absence of the Head.
- Leads the evaluation of opportunities to develop new digital services.
- Leads teams in the planning, development, and implementation of technical solutions.
- Oversees the professional development of technical staff.
- Participates in library planning, serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams.
- NC State University librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
Perform other duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or other relevant advanced degree.Other Required Qualifications:
- Supervisory experience; history of successful technical mentorship.
- Relevant professional experience applying systems analysis techniques to solving novel problems; ability to explore, evaluate, and incorporate emerging technologies.
- Server-side application development experience with one or more programming languages such as PHP, Python, or Ruby.
- Database development skills with systems such as MySQL and Solr.
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and personably with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering an environment of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
- Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Experience developing and contributing to open-source software projects.
- Experience working in an academic library or archive.
n/aValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
07/15/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to your application, please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for four (4) current professional references.Position Number:
Non-Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
250101 - NCSU LibrariesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.