PG190923EPInternal Recruitment :
CounselorAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with credentials, qualifications, and experienceWork Schedule:
8:00am - 5:00pm; Monday - Friday; 9 month position starting in AugustJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Counseling ServicesAbout the Department:
Division of Academic and Student Affairs
Mission, Values & Objectives
We promote the success of the whole student. In collaboration with our colleagues across campus, we prepare students to succeed academically, professionally and personally, to embrace a commitment to lifelong learning, and to become informed, engaged, and productive citizens.
The Counseling Center assists NC State students experiencing personal, academic or vocational problems. The goal of the Counseling Center is to provide students with professional counseling services and outreach to help them cope with issues that may impede successful academic performance. The Counseling Center also offers crisis intervention and psychological/psychiatric assessment, as well as consultation with others who have concerns about the mental/emotional state of NC State students. Our services are primarily short-term in nature and we make referrals to other helping professionals and community agencies as appropriate. With a lens of social justice that prioritizes anti-racism and anti-oppression, members of the counseling center commit to:
Essential Job Duties:
- A nurturing, supportive Community
- A commitment to cultural humility
- Holding ourselves and each other accountable
- Embracing compassion in all situations
- Using evidenced-based quality of care
Provide professional individual and group counseling services and outreach to NC State students, as well as consultation to University administrators, staff, and others who have concerns about the mental/emotional status of NC State students.
Nine-month, full time, 40 hours per week position to assist in all areas of Counseling Center functions including, but not limited to:
- Individual and group counseling of NC State students/clients (personal, academic, and vocational assessment and counseling); psychological assessment; developmental and crisis counseling; couples counseling; evaluation of students for withdrawal from the University.
- Development and participation in Outreach programming
- Consultation with faculty staff, parents, and others
- Providing evaluations and recommendations regarding students with academic and conduct problems
- Some participation in after hours “on call” and possible evening office hours
- Participation in continuing education focusing on ethical requirements for clinical practice and culturally informed practice
- Participation in committee work as well as treatment teams when appropriate
- This position is expected to participate in the training and/or supervision of graduate students and early career clinicians.
- General administrative responsibilities
Minimum Education and Experience:
- This position may involve participation in supervision/training of graduate students and program evaluation.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Other Required Qualifications:
- Master’s degree required in psychology, counseling, or clinical social work or closely-related field.
- Appropriate licensure must be obtained/maintained according to NC laws.
- All clinicians must demonstrate skills and interest in training and supervision
- Established commitment to multicultural competencies
- Candidate must possess strong clinical skills and experience in handling crisis situations
- Strong interpersonal skills required
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Doctorate preferred in psychology, counseling, or clinical social work or closely-related field.
- Experience in a university counseling center is desirable
- Successful candidates will be generalists who are multi-culturally affirming and possess experience in working with diverse populations
- Preference for candidates with experience utilizing a time-limited model of care
- Preference for candidates who have experience and strong interest in providing outreach presentations and group work
- Preference for candidates with demonstrated experience working with men of color, neurodiversity, military, the transgender community.
Appropriate licensure must be obtained/maintained according to NC laws.Valid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
05/03/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide contact information for three professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
244020 - Counseling ServicesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.