Food Service SupervisorAnticipated Hiring Range:
40 hours per week; work hours may vary based on business needs; work schedule may include nights, weekends and holidays. May be required to work some overtime.Job Location:
NC State DiningAbout the Department:
Campus Enterprises is NC State University’s division of retail and hospitality organizations — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), and the One Card Office. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships. Essential Job Duties:
NC State Dining provides campus wide food services to students, staff, and faculty on the North Carolina State University Campus. NC State Dining operates 11 cafes, 3 food courts and 4 dining halls, 5 convenience stores, campus concessions, vending, a nutritional counseling service, and a catering department. The department employs approximately 1000 temporary and student employees and approximately 150 permanent EHRA and SHRA employees.
- There are 2 positions available which will be responsible for the daily management of the Port City Java location in Park Shops or the Port City Java location in the Talley Student Union on the NC State University campus.
- Must be committed philosophically and operationally, to delivering high quality services in an efficient manner, while being sensitive to the service needs of NC State University.
- This position will ensure all brand related standards of excellent customer service and food and drink quality are being met, while maintaining all policies and procedures.
- This is a working supervisory position and all supervisors are required to be leading service during peak periods.
- Model the Division’s mission and values, introduce the Division’s mission and values to the employees, and foster a positive, cohesive workplace and congeniality among co-workers.
- Understand the goals and culture of the organization, and understand how employees’ work activities, teamwork, and customer service impact clients. Work with your supervisor and colleagues to understand these goals and the culture.
- Adhere to all University policies, procedures, and regulations, and Division standard operating practices and protocols.
- Due to operational needs of the NC State Dining department, an employee may be assigned to work in any NC State Dining department including, but not limited to, football games, and special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure NC State Dining business needs are met.
High School diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in food preparation or service activities in a commercial kitchen; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.Other Required Qualifications:
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with customers, peers and supervisors; and professionally communicate with multiple levels of employees within the University.
- Must follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Knowledge of equipment, cooking methods, measurements, and food safety.
- Provide outstanding customer service, including the ability to remain professional and respectful under pressure when dealing with difficult situations.
- Excellence in completing all tasks.
- Ability to use or learn to use email and use a PC and MS Office Suite (or similar) proficiently.
- Requires bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of food service operations and working in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds above head and up to 60 pounds on rare occasions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Required License or Certification:
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience in the food service industry
- Previous experience working in a cafe/coffee house, retail operation or similar operation
- Cash handling experience
- 1 year management experience (planning, forecasting, ordering, budgeting)
- 1-2 years customer service experience
- 1 year coaching and training employees
- 1 year menu management system experience
- Experience in hiring, training, employee relations, coaching and team building
- 1 year solving routine problems
- 1 year experience in team building
- Knowledge of proper sanitation, safety and health codes
- Proficient in the use of computers and have the ability to learn new software programs. Experience with beginner word processing, spreadsheet, and email.
Valid NC Driver's License required:
- ServSafe certification or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment.
- Must obtain brand specific certification, if applicable, as required by location within 30 days of employment.
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
06/28/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Food Services SupervisorPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $60,557 Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
471501 - Dining and Catering OperationsAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.