Administers and oversees two federal TRIO grants (Upward Bound and Student Support Services). Oversees all operations of the Office of the TRIO Programs Office including supervision of staff; development and management of budgets; and planning, implementation and oversight of both Upward Bound and Student Support Services programs. Additional responsibilities include overseeing program curricula; preparing grant applications and federal reports; and assuring that the programs are in compliance with federal regulations and University policies. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Student Development and Inclusion within Student Affairs.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN26965B - 00292 - TRiO
COMPENSATION: $70,000 to $80,000/year
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
This position is directly responsible for the leadership, oversight and coordination of two federally funded grants. Upward Bound is a postsecondary access program for 92 low income and potential first generation college students from four target high schools in the Salt Lake area. Upward Bound includes an academic year component and an intensive six week summer residential component. Student Support Services is a college success program to increase the persistence of 225 low income, first generation college students and students with disabilities at the University of Utah. Student Support Services includes a summer bridge program (JumpStart) for approximately 15 entering freshmen.
WORK TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Directly supervises 5 professional staff and 1 clerical staff; directly or indirectly supervises additional 5 to 8 part time and student staff during the academic year and up to 25 staff during the summer. Summer staff includes professional teachers as well as undergraduate and graduate students.
- Manages staff as necessary, including hires and layoffs. Provides staff training for professional personnel and provides direction for training of other staff. Evaluates staff performance. Provides professional development opportunities.
- Assigns or delegate responsibilities to subordinate staff for various activities, functions, and components of the programs.
- Reviews and approves applications for UB and SSS program participation; assures that eligibility requirements are met and that necessary documentation is submitted. Oversees data collection and follow-up of current and former program participants.
- Develops or coordinates program evaluation systems including evaluation of individual student progress and overall program accomplishments.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of Annual Performance Reports (APR) for submission to US Department of Education.
- Negotiates with Residential Living and Chartwells Dining for room and board for Upward Bound and JumpStart summer participants; coordinates with Scheduling Office and other offices and departments for various facilities for summer and academic year programs.
- Negotiates and coordinates with Continuing Education and academic departments (Mathematics, Undergraduate Studies, and Writing Program) regarding University courses offered through the Student Support Services program and for the summer Bridge/JumpStart component.
- Develops or oversees development and approves curricula for high school enrichment and University coursework offered through the programs.
- Develops and manages budgets for Upward Bound and Student Support Services. When necessary, negotiates budget revisions with US Department of Education. Ensures that expenditures meet federal regulations and University rules and policies.
- Manages additional support budgets from University and other sources, including JumpStart and TRIO Development accounts.
- Advocates for individual students as well as TRIO eligible students in general regarding access and persistence at the University.
- Serves on University committees as appropriate to promote TRIO programs and advocate for TRIO eligible students.
- Prepares grant applications for submission to the US Department of Education (every five years for each grant; timing staggered.)
- As Principle Investigator for federal grants, coordinates with Office of Sponsored Projects regarding grant submission and administration.
- Participates in state, regional, and national associations that provide professional development or promote and advocate for TRIO students, TRIO programs, or underserved populations.
COORDINATION AND SUPERVISION:
This position oversees coordination of the TRIO Programs, including hiring, training and supervising all full-time and part-time student staff (up to 25 counting summer programs). Coordinates activities of the personnel of the two projects as well as the use of TRIO, staffing, etc., to achieve program goals. Collaborates with academic departments and Student Affairs agencies.
BUDGETARY RESPONSIBILITY AND IMPACT
The Director develops and provides oversight for annual budgets of $482K for Upward Bound (2020-21) and $393K for Student Support Services (2020-21), and approximately $26,000 in other funding, donations, and matching grants from the University and other sources.
Approves or authorizes all purchasing/expenditure requests and payroll within the TRIO Programs Office.
This position exercises independent oversight of programs and services of the TRIO Programs office including the creation, implementation, and evaluation of programs. The position has the authority to make hiring and firing decisions, in consultation with the Associate Vice President for Student Development and Inclusion and is authorized to exercise independent judgment regarding the interpretation of applicable policies and procedures, including relevant federal regulations. The position is also responsible for all decisions regarding the daily functioning of the programs, selection of participants for the programs, and use of federal funds and other resources.
Supervises and trains staff and students at varying competence levels.
May face pressures due to time constraints for federal reporting, grant applications, and other tasks which need to be accomplished by specific deadlines.
Mediates and resolves issues and disputes with and between participants, staff, and/or parents. During the summer residential programs, may play role of disciplinarian in regard to participant behaviors.
Makes decisions regarding use of limited resources.
This position is dependent upon the continued federal funding of the Upward Bound and Student Support Services grants. The current Upward Bound grant runs through May 31, 2022 with potential for renewal every five years; the current Student Support Services grant ends on August 31, 2025 with potential for renewal every five years.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or related area, or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communications skills required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Advanced degree in Educational Administration or related area; experience designing, implementing, and administering TRIO or similar educational programs serving underrepresented or low-income populations; administrative experience with federal grant programs, including developing and administering budgets
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/119605
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.