Flathead Valley Community College's (FVCC) has an excellent full-time opportunity to join its work-family as its Director of Financial Aid. Consider joining FVCC's team in supporting its mission to promote excellence in lifelong learning, focused on student success and community needs.
FVCC is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and its students' personal and intellectual growth in a diverse academic community. FVCC employees play a vital role in its College community in supporting this mission.
Because of its inclusive and supportive employee and organizational culture, FVCC is a great place to work. Additionally, FVCC offers generous health benefits, retirement, and leave programs for benefit-eligible positions, like this one.
Located in beautiful Northwest Montana, the Kalispell area is close to endless recreation opportunities for everyone. FVCC's campus is a short drive from Glacier National Park, two world-class downhill ski resorts, and pristine alpine lakes and rivers. Aside from the College's unique location, there are many reasons why people love working at FVCC. Positive work environment, friendly and supportive community, strong leadership, clean and safe campus, professional development opportunities, and the College's continued growth and innovation are just a handful of examples. FVCC employees also enjoy competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package.
Director, Financial Aid
$60,000 - $75,000 depending on experience; 12 mos. per year; benefit eligible
Generous Benefits includes:
- Health/Vision, Dental, Life/ADD & Long-term Disability Insurance: Generous Employer contribution toward the cost of this benefit
- Vacation Leave: Earn up to 15 days per year
- Sick Leave: Earn up to 12 days per year
- Holiday Leave: 12 per year
- Retirement: Participates in MT Teacher's Retirement System; AND Employer match up to 7% for 403(b)
- Tuition Waiver: Employee plus up to two legal dependents
Opened Until Filled; however, first review of application materials is August 4, 2021
Flathead Valley Community College is an outstanding public community college located on a beautiful campus in Kalispell, Montana with panoramic views of the northern Rocky Mountains and Glacier National Park. Our vision is to improve lives through learning, and the trustees, faculty and staff are dedicated to values that foster and preserve the spirit of our college and promote and support the well-being and economic development of the communities we serve.
- Leads a progressive and dynamic financial aid department in order to support and advance institutional efforts to increase student access and success.
- Directs the day to day operations in the administration, management and strategic planning efforts for the department.
- Provides leadership, mentors and supervises staff; motivates and empowers staff to create environments that promote innovation; sets standards for excellent customer service. Ensures efficient and effective delivery of financial aid to the student population by mentorship and guidance of the campus financial aid team.
- Plans, organizes and manages the operations and activities of the federal, state, locally and private funded financial aid, monitors and ensures compliance with federal and state regulations
- Develops, implements and sustains comprehensive guidance, support and excellent customer service to the student, staff and public clients of financial aid. Resolves complaints and possess the ability to articulate solutions.
- Advises and presents to students, parents, staff, high school counselors, other college personnel, and off-campus agencies on all aspects of student financial aid.
- Participates actively and with initiative in continuous improvement efforts to provide efficient and quality programs; provides strategic direction to facilitate innovation.
- Networks and collaborates with stakeholders; establishes and maintains strong collegial relationships with staff, faculty, administrators, and community members; leads and serves on various committees.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of current practices and trends in continuing education and workforce development.
- Participates in institutional planning; coordinates areas of responsibility in support of the College’s strategic plan; provides related consultative services in support of academic and institutional decision making; incorporates financial aid into enrollment management.
- Oversees area’s operations, budgeting and resource allocation; establishes long range planning mechanisms; prepares periodic reports; represents the department and establishes a collaborative relationship with other college departments.
- Establishes and initiates effective and timely communications to assure sharing of information
- Serves as a member on various college committees and teams; meets with other college personnel for events, projects, planning, idea sharing, issues resolution, operational communications, professional development, etc.
- Maintains professional ethics and confidentiality of students in accordance with applicable laws and policies
- Attends related trainings, workshops, and professional development
- Cross trains to perform other departmental and team functions; backfills for staff as needed.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Dean, Student Financial Services and Compliance
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an education, finance, or closely related field and a minimum of five years of progressively responsible leadership work experience; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s degree in a closely related field
- Experience with financial aid software
- Experience in community college or public education administration
- Comprehensive knowledge of role and mission of community colleges
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple areas, individuals, projects and priorities
- Strong analytical ability and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated skills and abilities to effectively utilize databases, word-processing, spreadsheets, online computer transaction, and to operate a variety of computer applications
- Ability to design and format reports, forms, and queries
- Demonstrated skill in effectively analyzing data for outcome oriented results
- Ability and willingness to serve as a representative for the College by interacting appropriately with the public, donors, students, potential students and College community
- Ability to work within policies and procedures of FVCC.
- Ability to maintain effective and positive professional relationships with staff, students, and public
- Ability to follow and issue directions
- Skill, dedication, and aptitude for working with students with a student-centered philosophy
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain regular and acceptable attendance levels.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check
- Ability to respond in the event of an emergency
- This is a Medium Duty job, according to the Selected Characteristics of Occupations Defined in the Revised Dictionary of Occupational Titles, U.S. Department of Labor and Industry. Medium Duty involves exertion of 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must apply online at www.fvcc.edu/jobs; paper submission of applications or resume materials are not accepted. FVCC does not retain application materials for future consideration.
Additionally, applicants are required to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application (NOTE: FVCC's applicant tracking system will time-out after 45 minutes of inactivity. Please have your documents ready to upload before you click the Apply button.) :
- Letter of application indicating how you meet the minimum qualifications and detail your work experience as it relates to the position's Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, AND
- A current, comprehensive resume, AND
- Unofficial transcripts for ALL degrees held and required certifications - if more than one transcript, combine and upload as one document. (As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will submit official transcripts for all degrees held to FVCC HR prior to hiring. Only transcripts from accredited institutions will be accepted.)
- Three professional references, with complete contact information, must be provided on the application form. Professional references must be individuals most familiar with applicant's work experience, skills, work behaviors, and supervisory experience. Do not list family and friends for professional references.
EMPLOYMENT SPONSORSHIP: FVCC is not able to sponsor individuals seeking employment. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION'S, REFERENCE CHECKS AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: Prior to any offers of employment, FVCC conducts thorough employment verifications and reference checks and may contact organizations and individuals not listed on an applicant's application or resume. Additionally, FVCC conducts post-offer criminal background checks.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION: FVCC is an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action organization. It is FVCC's policy that all individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, creed, political ideas, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran’s status, service in the uniformed services as defined by state and federal law, physical or mental disability, national origin or ancestry except as authorized by law. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, and training and career development programs, as required by federal and state laws.
FVCC BOARD POLICY: The FVCC Board Policy Manual is available to review at: https://www.fvcc.edu/about-fvcc/board-of-trustees/fvcc-board-policy
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: FVCC provides reasonable accommodations upon request to qualified individuals with disabilities during all phases of employment including the application and selection process. No applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ACT: Preference applies in hiring and provides a uniform method by which special consideration is given to qualified Veterans. Veterans’ Preference laws do not, however, guarantee Veterans a job, nor do they give Veterans’ preference in internal actions such as promotion, transfer, reassignment, and reinstatement. I understand that applying for a preference is voluntary and that all information related to a preference is confidential and used only during the hiring process; the information will be maintained in a separate confidential file. To claim Veterans' Preference, you must complete the Veterans' Preference Form (form is available at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) and email it along with document(s) that verify your eligibility for employment preference to [email protected] Claims for Veterans' preference must be received by Human Resources prior to position closing date.
WINDFALL ELIMINATION PROVISION: Based on the Windfall Elimination Provision, I understand my employment may not be covered by Social Security. To learn more about the Windfall Elimination Provision click https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.