Staff PhotographerPosition Number:
Full TimeSensitive Position:
NoSensitive Position Statement:
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.Campus Security Authority:
YesCampus Security Authority Statement:
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.Designated Personnel:
YesDesignated Personnel Statement:
This position is a “designated position” meaning this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing.Statement of Economic Interest:
NoStatement of Economic Interest Statement:
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.Restricted Position:
NoRestricted Position Statement:
A restricted position would be subject to availability of funding. This is NOT a restricted position. Chief Objective of Position:
The staff photographer will produce a wide variety of creative, high-quality images of people and events for use by the university. As a member of the digital communications team the staff photographer will collaborate with design and editorial and web services teams to produce communication initiatives that support the goals and objectives of the university’s units across the academic and administrative spectrum.Work Tasks:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Schedule and coordinate photo shoots.
- Act as creative director and conduct photo shoots.
- Select appropriate images for use in publications and digital media.
- Plan and coordinate project objectives with writers/editors, graphic designers and web service teams.
- Assist with planning and producing social media content.
- Identify appropriate people and locations for assigned photo shoots.
- Produce multimedia presentations, including audio, video and still photography, for online environments, including university websites and social media.
- Enhance quality of and manipulate digital images to prepare them for publication through the latest technologies available.
- Archive images and maintain a digital repository to make images easily retrievable and searchable by category, key word search, and other terms.
- Develop and maintain exceptional customer service and within the department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests and employees. Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude and treat everyone with dignity and respect. Fully support the “Students First” value at CNU and routinely go the extra mile in providing service.
- Review and communicate safety issues to ensure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work-related absences.
- This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
- Other duties as assigned.
Demonstrated talent as a professional photographer. Energetic, proactive attitude, and willingness to propose ideas and take initiative. Must enjoy working with people and work comfortably and easily with them in diverse settings in a creative and expressive fashion. Solid technical knowledge of relevant digital equipment and imaging/editing software. Knowledge of digital media applications that integrate still photography. Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed. Ability to work with natural, strobe flash and studio lighting to produce high-quality images that require minimal editing. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to follow directions with a positive attitude. Excellent interpersonal communication skills.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred:
Proficiency with Adobe CC applications. Knowledge of video production and editing. Knowledge of social media platforms and best practices.Required Education:
Must have a Master’s Degree; or a Bachelor’s Degree and related work experience which equates to an advanced degree.Experience Required:
Must have experience working as a professional photographer or a professional portfolio. Experience producing multimedia presentations, including audio, video and still photography, as well as experience using editing production software.Experience Preferred:
Previous experience working in a college/university setting. Experience with video editing, visual effects and motion graphics production.CNU Information:
Selected by The Princeton Review for The 386 Best Colleges: 2021 Edition, and highly ranked for its quality of life and innovative leadership, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, Christopher Newport is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located between Williamsburg and the Virginia beaches in Newport News, and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has a new and technologically advanced campus, has generated over 7,300 applications for a freshmen class of 1,155 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fourth among public regional universities in the South and seventh among all regional universities in the South. In addition, Christopher Newport is ranked third among all public schools for having “the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit ”https://www.cnu.edu">http://www.cnu.edu.Posting Number:
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; a link to a portfolio containing samples of work; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Quick Link for Internal Postings:
Review of applications will begin August 3, 2021.
Applications received after August 3, 2021, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/11294EEO Statement :
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: