Golf Course Superintendent
One of approximately 30 college run courses in the country, The Stanford University Golf Course opened in 1930 and was designed by famed architects George C. Thomas and William Bell Jr. It underwent a greens renovation by John Harbottle in 2008. In 2018, all bunkers were rebuilt, irrigation system replaced, and several holes were modified.
Located on campus below the scenic foothills, the sprawling, championship layout is flanked by majestic oak trees and meandering San Francisquito Creek, the latter coming into play on nearly half the course. Each hole offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains, and San Francisco, about 30 miles north, can be seen from the elevated 18th tee.
Home to the nationally ranked men's and women's golf programs, and the Cardinal cross-country teams, Stanford Golf Course was ranked No. 88 in the world in 1993 by Golf Magazine. In a poll of college golf coaches in 2009, the course was ranked No. 3 in the nation. In 2015, Stanford was rated the No. 6 college course in the country by Golfweek.
Rich in tradition and history, World Golf Hall of Famers Tom Watson and Mickey Wright honed their games on the courses, as did future Hall of Famer, Tiger Woods. The course has also been home to former USGA Presidents Sandy Tatum, Grant Spaeth and Walter Driver, Jim Vernon, and Stu Francis.
Stanford Golf Course has been the site of many important tournaments, including men's and women's NCAA Championships, U.S. Open Qualifying, USGA Junior Amateur Qualifying, and The Gathering, a former PGA Senior Tour event. Each year, the course hosts The Goodwin, a top men's collegiate tournament, and two women's events: the Stanford Intercollegiate hosted by Professor Condoleezza Rice, and the Peg Barnard Invitational.Position Preview:
Stanford University Golf Course is seeking an experienced, progressive, and innovative Golf Course Head Superintendent to attract and lead a motivated, bargaining unit, grounds staff, with an annual operating and capital budget of over $2,000,000. The successful candidate must take pride in delivering exceptional playing conditions for our members and University constituents. This position will be responsible for managing the daily operations of the entire agronomy team, with primary concentration on organizing, directing, and overseeing all facets of golf course, learning center, and Siebel Varsity Golf Training Complex maintenance including staffing, training, safety protocols, chemical/fertilizer plans, working relationships across University departments, and interaction with club members. This position reports directly to the General Manager.Your responsibilities will include:
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Manage agronomy, procedures, and controls with the goal of meeting all budget requirements and exceeding member/guest and constituent expectations.
- Create a team atmosphere where agronomy team members learn and grow in their profession.
- Instill a sense of pride in teamwork which will contribute to achieving Stanford University's vision of being the premier collegiate course and facility in the country, providing unparalleled service, fostering enduring friendships, and a sense of community.
- Prepare annual operating and capital budgets for the department and take corrective actions, as necessary, to help assure that the budgeted goals are met.
- Maintain the golf course in excellent playing conditions.
- Manage positive and productive relationships with bargaining unit staff and leadership.
- Organize department management meetings, staff meetings, and participate in department head/committee meetings as directed by the General Manager.
- Implement and enforce a comprehensive safety program for employees, members, and guests in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Ensure that chemicals, petroleum, and other controlled products are used, stored, and disposed of in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations; maintain required records.
- Schedule, train, supervise, and evaluate all personnel assigned to the department.
- Advise and assist the General Manager in implementing policies, procedures and goals which will strategically enhance the maintenance operation and its financial success.
- Communicate regularly with the Membership, Golf Course Advisory Committee, Greens Committee, and all appropriate staff members.
- Participate in establishing short and long-range maintenance plans for the golf course.
- Ensure appropriate landscaping for course property outside the golf course including around the clubhouse, learning center, varsity complex, and surrounding areas.
- Inspect the golf course regularly to evaluate and recommend improvements.
- Complete other appropriate tasks assigned by the General Manager
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or other appropriate technical area, or combinations of technical education, training, and experience.
- Two or more years of experience managing facilities operation and maintenance staff in an environment with a variety of facilities. Five years' experience as a golf course superintendent at a high-quality course is highly preferred
- Extensive experience in growth/maintenance of Bent grass, Poa Annua and Bermudagrass turf.
- Demonstrated experience in construction, renovation, and grow-in experience
- Knowledge of environmental safety rules, regulations, and policies. Ability to conduct job site inspections to ensure compliance. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrated ability managing service contracts, developing and managing budgets.
- Ability to interpret planning specifications, documents, working drawings, and related reports.
- All Pertinent Chemical and Pesticide Certifications are required.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.In addition, our preferred qualifications include:
- Base Salary - Discussed during interview process
- University housing will be provided
- Stanford University medical, dental, vision, and life insurance package
- Stanford retirement
- Paid vacation and other time away options
- Golf Course privileges
- DAPER cell phone, computer, iPad
- Continuing education allowance
- GCSAA Dues
Due to NCAA regulations regarding headset communications, priority consideration will be granted to candidates who earned a bachelor's degree between 2012-2016.DAPER's Integrity:
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford's intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University's reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
* The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.*Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
Athletics, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency